March pump questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdelap

Reaction score
So I just bought a 809HS and what a great job it did .... Once i got it primed, I think one issue I had was my mash was a bit dense I took advice for the LHBS to mash in at 1.25 gal instead of the 1.7 that I normally do but with all my dead space and HERMS coil I think i should have stuck to what worked before. But does anyone have any tips that help keep it primed also found now that I have the pump I will have to get a hop spider to keep the hops from getting sucked on to the screen and plugging the screen up while transferring to a fermenter.

Make sure the output is up so you can bleed the air out of the pump. The input plumbing should be bigger than the output and keep the pump as low as possible. This contributes to increased head pressure to keep it pumping. If you have a pressure control valve, make sure it's on the output side.

+1 on the hop spider! Mine only cost me $11 to make, and about 20 minutes of my time. I use the paint strainer bags, and try to reuse them. Pain in the butt to clean, but it works great in keeping hop sediment out!

+1 on the hop spider! Mine only cost me $11 to make, and about 20 minutes of my time. I use the paint strainer bags, and try to reuse them. Pain in the butt to clean, but it works great in keeping hop sediment out!

I never had trouble with leaf hops and gravity but with a pump and a plate chiller it looks like the path I may want to take. Did you make yours out of stainless or PVC?

Back