March Pump question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drost

Reaction score
I am contemplating purchasing a pump for my setup.

After researching, I have come to the conclusion that the March 809 is a good pump for the money (if anyone has other thoughts, please let me know).

I've seen the following on morebeer:

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=17311

Is there a difference between the pump from morebeer and this one I found on eBay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Home-Brewing-Ne...ryZ38172QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It doesn't look like the eBay pump has a mounting bracket, but I'm more specifically asking about the wiring. Does the morebeer version come with the 3 prong already attached, or is it 3 bare wires? For those who have these pumps, how do you have them wired? Are they on a switch? Can you attach the pump to a rheostat to control output?

Is the morebeer version worth 30 buck more?

Thanks for your input,

drost

It's impossible to say if they are the same pump. If you buy the one off of Ebay, keep in mind you'll need to purchase a power cord and then spend a few extra bucks on some way to mount it. Now we're no longer talking about a $30 price difference. It would probably still be cheaper; but a bit more contrived. For a few extra dollars, you also get the assurance that if there was a problem with it, B3 would stand behind it. You can't always be 100% positive about that when dealing with someone on Ebay. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten great deals on Ebay and been happy; but I've only made those purchases when there was no way an ordinary retailer was going to get close to matching the deal.

erbiumyag said:
keep in mind you'll need to purchase a power cord

It looks to me that the one on eBay doesn't have a power cord, so it would need to be connected to a switch I would assume.

Does the morebeer version come with a power cord, or are they bare wires also?

The B3 pump does come with a cord, but no plug. You will have to buy a 3 prong plug at Home Depot, but they are very easy to install. Other than that, just plug it in. As for a switch, you have a couple of options:

1) The simplest is an in-line switch like on a lamp where the cord goes completely through a manual switch with a plug on the end.

2) The next simplest is a switched outlet. This is one where you have an outlet with a 3 prong receptacle in one slot and a switch on the other. The switch controls power to the outlet.

There are other options, but these are the most straight forward.

Whatever you do, do NOT use a dimmer switch. This means death to your pump. Electric motors are funny that way. They like to run at the rated voltage - period. If you want to control flow, install a valve on the outlet side of the pump and use that to meter the flow. Also, never try to meter the inlet side of the pump. This will cause the pump to cavitate and is very hard on the pump innards.

Prosit!

tnlandsailor,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen many different versions of this pump...with a plug and without, plastic connections and bronze, with a bracket and without...I've gotten a little confused as which one to buy!

Back