March Pump Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernIke

Reaction score
Hello,

I've found a March distributor in my area. I'm thinking about buying a pump but I'm a bit confused as to what each offers.

I'm looking at the 815 series as they have higher pumping rates than the 809 series that is carried by NB.

http://www.marchpump.com/documents/815.asp

I was looking at the PL-C or the PL. I'm not sure if I need the center inlet housing and apparently it makes a difference.

Any help is appreciated.

Ike

How much wort are you pumping? The flow rate on a 809 is sufficient for our scale and at a price point that is more palateable. that said, the 815 does look fit for the role (although I just glanced) but, at what cost?

I'm doing 5 and 10 gallon batches. I was quoted $167 for the 815 pump. I reckon if I buy from NB it would be about $150 all in.

I'd pay a bit more if it's worth it.

Any ideas on which model would be best? PL-C or PL?

For me, the only time I use the pumps at full capacity is to transfer hot liquor from my kettle to the mash tun and HLT. Sparging and Lautering are done at reduced rates, so a higher capacity pump would not be very beneficial there. Maybe if you used a counterflow chiller faster recirc may be desired, but 5 gpm is still pretty quick unless your brewing 15+ gallons per batch. :fro:

Well, the SS would be more durable, but I bet it's a lot more expensive. Brass is not recommended, so that most likely just leaves the polysulfone head.
As for the orientation, the HS-C has a different inlet size than the HS so keep that in mind when buying plumbing (either a union or nipple for HS-C or union for the HS). There is very little difference performance-wise, with the HS-C being a little better. For me, the center approach is impractical as after the 3/4" FPT - 1/2" MPT reducer followed by the 1/2" SS ball valve you get a very long profile, that would end up tripping me. If you do the HS-C, then check out mcmaster.com part# 4810T215 for the reducer.

Latest posts

Back