maple syrup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejimirvine

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Looking for suggestions for using maple syrup as a priming sugar. I've got 5 gallons in the secondary that will be ready to bottle in a week or so and want to try some different priming sugars. It's a porter so I thought adding maple would be nice. Any ideas about amounts, should I boil the syrup first? Will I still get the same amount of carbonation?
Thanks a lot!
JIm

Use the priming sugar calculator link in my sig to help you figure out the exact amount.

I've used maple syrup before, and it works great. Do note that the maple flavor will be barely noticeable from priming sugar - you need to add to the boil or to secondary to get it.

If you use grade A light table syrup (aka pancake syrup), you are wasting your time; it will all ferment out, and give just a hint of a woody flavor... probably no maple at all. You need to use the darkest, lowest grade syrup you can find if you want maple flavor. It has more unfermentable residual compounds that will lend flavor.

A quick boil to sanitize is probably a good idea.

It may be slightly noticable at first,after it fully carbs you probably wont even notice it. Same thing when you brew with it depending how much you use,if you use a lot it will really dry your beer out also which is usually not such a good thing.

Something like molassis could be fairly more noticable though in a wort if you like that taste. Never tried bottleing with that but you definatly need to look up how much to use with each sugar you try. You would have better luck trying to add maple syrup to secondary better than adding it at flameout before you cool your wort to get what your looking for or possibly some maple extract when you bottle.

Ive added honey late in a boil/bottleing and did notice it but it didnt last too long,possibly a few months(less or more) or so after carbing up even after that I could still notice a faint honey character as far as the adding it late to boil. Carbing with sugars will usually fade all their character out upon full carbonation. Different sugars can add a bit of character to the right beer though sometimes. Sometimes more weird than others.You dont usually end up with what you thought you would get.

Thanks guys, good info. I did add syrup at the end of the boil just before I chilled the wort so hopefully those flavours will carry a bit. I tried out the priming sugar calculator, great resource. Glad I joined the forum!
Jim

Back