Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopTopic

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe and I am considering the addition of Maple Syrup. What percentage of my fermentables should Maple Syrup make up to get a good underlying maple flavor?

Additionally, is this something that would be better added in a secondary?

ive used up to 17 oz of maple syrup in my pumpkin ale with AWESOME results. Make sure to add it towards the end of the boil (to get better hop utilization) and to use PURE maple syrup (a lot of "maple syrup" is actually mostly high fructose corn syrup).

yes make sure you have real maple syrup, not the flavored junk. adding after the primary will lead to more flavoring since alot of aroma will be driven off during fermentation. i recently did a maple porter where i added some at flameout and multiple additions afterward; one addition at high krausen and one after primary fermentation was over. i've had great results with using granulated maple sugar (maple syrup boiled down to solid sugar crystals) instead of corn sugar for priming. good luck:)

I just brewed a batch with 16oz of Maple Syrup...

it's been fermenting for 10 days now....I can't wait to taste.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I have a couple more questions if there is anyone willing to answer?

(i) What would be the minimum amount of my fermentables that maple syrup would have to make up in order to taste it? I saw somewhere on here that someone said 8%. Does that sound about right?

(ii) If I went with maple syrup or granualted maple sugar as priming sugar, how much would I use?

How do you add the syrup after fermentation has started/finished? Mixing it with some boiled water that's still warm?

How do you add the syrup after fermentation has started/finished? Mixing it with some boiled water that's still warm?

From what I understand, you could just boil it. Maple syrup is made by boiling maple sap for long periods of time so it should not change the flavor or amything. But someone please correct me if I am wrong?

I added mine in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

hey I just noticed your in Tallahassee....So am I....well I'm close enough to Tallahassee (Jefferson county) shoot me a pm and I will let you know when my maple ale is done and you can come over and try it.

Are you bottling or kegging? My first batch (and only batch under my belt, so be careful with my advice) was an extract clone of Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale. 1/3 lb or 150 grams pure maple syrup was added to a 5 gallon boil for the last 5 minutes of boil. 1/2 cup or 120 ml (plus DME) was used for priming (no other sugar). (Please don't ask why weight is used for boil and liquid measure is used for priming.) The recipe I have says the maple taste is more noticeable when you use maple syrup to bottle with. I have a good hint of maple but next time I plan to add more syrup for boil and priming to get a little more maple taste.

rgray, I added a full lb (16oz) to my boil (last 10 min). I am hoping for enough maple flavor that drinking it you can go "What the hell is that, it's good but what is it" I dont want the maple to be over powering just a subtle hint.

Also it will be kegged. Today is day 12. I gotta get to my homebrew store and grab a hydrometer today. After this batch went into the fermenter I dropped the damn thing and well you know the rest.

Back