Maple Syrup Substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zythe84

Reaction score
I would like to soon begin brewing a Maple Wheat Ale, as found on p. 137 of the book Clone Brews, but had a few questions about the maple syrup part. Here is what is listed:

9.25 lb. M&F wheat DME (55% wheat, 45% barley malt)
1/2 lb. maple syrup
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5% AA (7.5 HBU) (bittering hop)
1/2 oz. Willamette (flavor hop)
1 tsp. Irish moss
Wyeast's 3056 Bavarian wheat yeast OR Wyeast's 3944 White Beer yeast
1/2 cup corn sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup

It has been recommended that I use Grade B maple syrup, and ONLY REAL maple syrup. This is not available at any of the grocery stores near me, so I was wondering if I could instead flavor it 100% maple syrup extract, and supplement the fermentable sugars that Grade B would provide, with some corn sugar.

If this IS possible, is there a way to determine the ratio between maple extract and corn sugar in order to create a pseudo-maple syrup. I need 1/2 lb in the boil, and 1/3 cup at bottling. Any way to determine how much to use?

Will this be too much trouble, because if so, I can order some Grade B online, but it's expensive, and I need to brew ASAP because school lets out soon and then I am moving...

Thanks,

JBL

Maple Syrup Extract WTF? I had the calll the farmers wife on this one. She's never heard of it either.
It sounds like you might mean maple extract. If this what you mean then yes, I suppose you could probably use it. I got a better idea. PM me, and let me know how much you need. As long as you live in North America I'll be happy to ship it to you at cost, plus a bottle or two. :)
BTW it would be as fresh as you could possibly get.

Latest posts

Back