Maple Syrup in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Did some searches on the forum regarding this, but it seems most people talk about using the syrup as a priming sugar for bottling or kegging. I was thinking of throwing some (~16 oz) of Grade A syrup I made when I was in CT into my winter warmer porter. The idea came from our beer club, as we are all brewing the same beer but changing something on it and comparing it to the real version (Anchor Porter).

My idea was the syrup, in which I want to add it to the secondary in hopes it would pull some of that maple and sweet flavor into the beer, almost like the Life & Limb from Sierra/Dogfish did. Was thinking about heating it up to ~70 F as that is what my porter will be fermenting at, and hopefully it will be liquid enough that the yeast will be able to take it.

Just wanted to see if anyone has done this before or if could recommend something.

Yeah, it's definitely been done. I've always added sugars/syrups either to primary after the primary fermentation begins to wind down, or to the boil, but it would work fine in the secondary as well. Expect the fermentation to start back up, so you need to have room for that.

Yeah, it's definitely been done. I've always added sugars/syrups either to primary after the primary fermentation begins to wind down, or to the boil, but it would work fine in the secondary as well. Expect the fermentation to start back up, so you need to have room for that.

I didn't think about the room issue. Maybe I will just add it to primary because I know that carboy has the room, not to mention after that I can age it in secondary where it tastes how I want it to.

Latest posts

Back