Maple syrup in imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElJefeBrews

Reaction score
I'm making a 1 gallon imperial stout and want to use male syrup to boost OG by any 10-12 gravity points. How much do you think I should use?

I'm making a 1 gallon imperial stout and want to use male syrup to boost OG by any 10-12 gravity points. How much do you think I should use?

Good question. Last year I made an "American Imperial Stout" that took a 2nd place in a contest on Maui island. I used about 7 oz in a two gallon batch. I still have 6 bottles for the 2916 contests in the islands.

Hope the flavor has improved during storage.

I did 16 oz in a 3 gallon in both an imperial brown and a chocolate/pepper/coffee stout.

Brown was fantastic. Added about 1/3 during the boil, 1/3 in last 5 minutes and the rest at flameout. There is a signature "woody/smoky" taste I really liked in the final product.

Stout gets its first tasting tonight. Same amount but I will probably not pick it up with such a strong flavor profile to begin with.

Mine was organic dark amber syrup straight from the source. I suggest finding high quality maple syrup from a farmers market rather than the crap most supermarkets carry.

I always use a recipe calculator to figure this stuff out. Just keep upping the amount until you reach the gravity you want. It might not be exact but it'll get you pretty close... Hasn't failed me yet, anyway!

Thanks for the responses everybody. In heating up the mash as we speak. Hoping to get it around 9-9.5% ABV. Wish me luck

Back