Maple syrup alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Thorn

Reaction score
I've just tried my hand at making maple syrup into alcohol not sure if I did it right can anybody give me some pointers that may help me out for the next time I do it

Boiled one gallon of fresh Vermont maple syrup with water and then added three cups of sugar added yeast and then let ferment for about 9 days or so

Ok, that should have done something productive.
How did it turn out? What were the original and post-fermentation gravities?

Cheers!

I made a "maple wine" to this effect once. Forget exactly what I did, but diluting maple syrup into boiling water (no added sugar, maple syrup is sugar syrup), and then fermenting it with wine yeast. I want to say I used 3 or 4 pounds of maple syrup in a 1 gallon batch. It fermented more dry than anything I've done.

As it's functionally similar to mead, I treated it as such with the same staggered nutrient additions.

Final product was like an 18% bourbon with a touch of maple. Much of the maple syrup character (and all the residual sugar) fermented out (as expected). The character left quite an impression of sweetness though despite the lack of residual sugar.

To be honest I'm new to home brewing and am just trying to get some ideas, pointers, and help

Back