Maple Sap Mead '12

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
Second year I've done this:

12 lbs clover honey
Boiled and cooled maple sap... reduced ~15-20%
Lavin D-47
Staggered nutrient additions.

The maple sap ups the ABV (sap straight from the tree is about 2% sugar)
and I think adds some readily available fermentables that boost
the yeast activity. Last years batch was delicious... I only have 3 bottles left.

How much raw sap are you using? It's that time of year and I think my father is on his annual pilgrimage to the great white north to make maple syrup.

He usually brings me back 2-3 litres of syrup but I can get a good deal of raw sap as well and would love to try this.

How much sap do you use pre-boil?

Maybe 7 or 8 gallons for a 5 G batch of mead... I just eyeball it in the pot, boil until I think about a fifth of it has boiled down and then I turn off the gas, cover and let it cool overnight.

I just dump whatever is left over. I also make a sap beer, replacing all the water with sap. I use about 15 gallons for mash & sparge "water"

just because I am completely ignorant in the area of maple sap, what is the flavor like only boiling it down 15-20% as I think the OP stated, do you still get the same characteristics as being fully boiled down to syrup?

just because I am completely ignorant in the area of maple sap, what is the flavor like only boiling it down 15-20% as I think the OP stated, do you still get the same characteristics as being fully boiled down to syrup?

It doesn't impart any maple syrup flavor that I can detect. Not an maple expert, but the maple syrup flavor really doesn't happen until the sap is completely boiled down.... ~40 gallons of sap = 1 G of maple syrup. A certain amount of the flavor is carmelization, and the grade of the syrup.... Fancy grade syrup has a very light delicate maple flavor, whereas B grade has a more robust maple taste.

Nice, I have 6-7 sugar maples I've considered tapping before, never got around to it, never had time or patience to boil it down to syrup, may give it a try now, put one of my keggles to work.

Second year I've done this:

12 lbs clover honey
Boiled and cooled maple sap... reduced ~15-20%
Lavin D-47
Staggered nutrient additions.

The maple sap ups the ABV (sap straight from the tree is about 2% sugar)
and I think adds some readily available fermentables that boost
the yeast activity. Last years batch was delicious... I only have 3 bottles left.
No maple trees here to speak of......

Just the boiled sap and honey ? presuming all the "water" element comes from the sap ?

What size batch is it ? Some gravity readings ? etc etc. I'd be curious to find out, as all that's available here is birch sap and I don't know if that has any of the flavouring or aromatic qualities of Maple sap........

No maple trees here to speak of......

Just the boiled sap and honey ? presuming all the "water" element comes from the sap ?

Yup

What size batch is it ?
5 Gallon

Some gravity readings ? etc etc. I'd be curious to find out, as all that's available here is birch sap and I don't know if that has any of the flavouring or aromatic qualities of Maple sap........

I rarely take gravity readings, so I Dunno. I know birch sap can be used to make syrup, but I think the sugar content is lower. The maple sap adds no flavor or aroma that I can discern.

Nice, I have 6-7 sugar maples I've considered tapping before, never got around to it, never had time or patience to boil it down to syrup, may give it a try now, put one of my keggles to work.

Easy to do.... I picked up a few taps at the hardware store and I use gallon plastic milk jugs for "pails". I tap three trees and get plenty of sap to do a
batch of beer and mead each spring. I store the collected sap in my unheated garage until I have enough to brew. Fun way to make mud season pass more quickly.

So doesn't do anything for the flavor or aroma but makes your primary liquid source slightly fermentable.... slight increase in abs, about as pure/organic as you can get and another cool mead to add to the list...I like it

vtchuck said:
Yup

5 Gallon

I rarely take gravity readings, so I Dunno. I know birch sap can be used to make syrup, but I think the sugar content is lower. The maple sap adds no flavor or aroma that I can discern.

You are right, birch sap has a lot less sugar than maple, 80 gallons sap for 1 gallon pure syrup. It is also a different type of sugar (fructose).
I am in the middle of tapping now. Instead of making all syrup this year am going to try boiling down 30 gallons of sap to a 5 gallons of concentrate and use that as my base. Just need to figure out a recipe and how much less malt extract to use?

Isn't Birch sap hardly fermentable? It is the source for zylitol, which is a non fermentable sweetener.

Isn't Birch sap hardly fermentable? It is the source for zylitol, which is a non fermentable sweetener.

Had heard others mention the same when trying types of wine with Birch sap/syrup, but have had a couple of micro brewers contest it. I tried a beer made that I think came out of White Horse, Yukon or Haines, AK that was primarily brewed with sap and syrup added (along with m.e.) and it was a very good crisp beer in the 5.0 abv range. Not sure of the science behind it all but am going give it a run just the same!

Did a batch of this in '13 as well.... Changed up the recipe a bit as I boiled down the sap to ~ half its
volume... from about 8 G to 4G. Bottled it a few days back and it may be my best yet... very smooth after
only about 5 months.

Back