Maple Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caine

Reaction score
I'm trying to settle on a couple of things for my maple brown ale. First, it sounds like one of the best ways to get the most maple flavor would be to prime with some Grade B syrup, but I can't seem to find anywhere with a clear recommendation as to just how much to use for 5 gallons of brown ale, whether or not a syrup/corn sugar mix is required, and if so, what would be a recommended mix. Anyone have any guidance here?

Secondly, I'm considering adding some maple syrup during topping off when racking to the secondary. Can I add -too- much maple syrup here? I'm guessing that I would have to boil the syrup in water before adding and assuming (total WAG) that I had to add maybe 1/2 gallon of water to top off, I was considering adding maybe 1 quart of syrup in a 50/50 mix with water. Any thoughts/suggestions here?

Thanks!

The only experience I have had with grade b maple syrup is adding it half way through the boil. I haven't sampled the finished product yet. I'm predicting that the maple flavor won't really be as apparent as i would have liked.

Caine said:
Secondly, I'm considering adding some maple syrup during topping off when racking to the secondary. Can I add -too- much maple syrup here? I'm guessing that I would have to boil the syrup in water before adding and assuming (total WAG) that I had to add maybe 1/2 gallon of water to top off, I was considering adding maybe 1 quart of syrup in a 50/50 mix with water. Any thoughts/suggestions here?

I have given up on adding it to the boil. It just goes away. Now, perhaps some maple candy would work...

I do the addition to secondary. I usually add 1 to 2 quarts to 5 gallons with decent results, so your 50/50 mix should be fine. Try to find a grade B Amber or even a C will work with little or no color effect.

CEMaine said:
I have given up on adding it to the boil. It just goes away. Now, perhaps some maple candy would work...

I do the addition to secondary. I usually add 1 to 2 quarts to 5 gallons with decent results, so your 50/50 mix should be fine. Try to find a grade B Amber or even a C will work with little or no color effect.

Question: Do you also add any maple syrup as primer? If not, what do you use and how would you describe the intensity of the maple taste? Subtle? Noticeable? Intense? etc.

Thanks!

I don't have any knowledge to add to this... but mmmmmmmm, sounds mighty tasty.

Back