Manny Busted For Steriods!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HA! I thought this was a fake post! That is friggin awesome! Glad I don't have him on my fantasy team!

at this point they should write articles about a star player passing a drug test instead of failing it.

I think it is awesome. Not only is he getting what he deserves, but he will also be suspended when the Cubs play the Dodgers in a couple weeks :)

I don't think it has been confirmed to be steroids yet. Just a banned substance.
Early reports suggest it was some form of "bedroom enhancement"

I don't think it has been confirmed to be steroids yet. Just a banned substance.

I just read that it was a female hormone that is used for after you get off steroids and it kick starts the male body to start producing testosterone again.

Manny being Manny.....
Nope, Manny being A-Rod.

Wake me up when this really matters. I'm so tired of hearing about so and so testing positive. Please. If you think half these guys aren't on something, well, I'd like to live in your fantasy world. Lots of money to be had and they'd do anything to get it while they can.

Can't say I blame them. I don't like it, but I don't blame them for wanting to get when the gettin's good.

EDIT: I covered Manny when he was in rookie ball. He was flaky, difficult to deal with and appeared to be high nearly every time I talked to him. It's stunning it took so long for this to come out.

I just read that it was a female hormone that is used for after you get off steroids and it kick starts the male body to start producing testosterone again.

The report is that he tested positive for Clomid. Clomid is a female fertility drug. It's an estrogen blocker, and, yes, basically kick starts the system again once you cycle off of steroids so that you produce your own testosterone. It also is taken in conjunction with other steroids to prevent gynocamastia (moobies).

..If you think half these guys aren't on something, well, I'd like to live in your fantasy world...

What about the half that do play it straight?

Since there is money to be made it’s okay? Weak, I say.

Thank you “Bud” Selig, your stewardship of baseball sucks.

That's why the Craig Counsell type players aren't in the league anymore --- remember when SS and 2B were only about defense? - they used to hit around .220 with 3-8 HR and 55 RBIs.....

then came the "great" A-rod and others....

man, makes me wonder if Ryno was on something - I think he was the first "power hitting" 2B player

I can see where you got that from what I said. More to the point, this is so common now it hardly registers as shocking. I have far more respect for those who do play it straight, but I'm not going to register disappointment when a big name (I am a huge Manny fan, I think he's the best pure right-handed hitter of all time) goes down.

I don't think it's OK to do the stuff. I think it's too much a part of the game now to actually expect anything to be done about it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I suppose I'm just too cynical.

I just don't understand. A sportsman taking steroids leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth.....But when a cow takes steroids they taste great!!!

I can see where you got that from what I said. More to the point, this is so common now it hardly registers as shocking. I have far more respect for those who do play it straight, but I'm not going to register disappointment when a big name (I am a huge Manny fan, I think he's the best pure right-handed hitter of all time) goes down.

I don't think it's OK to do the stuff. I think it's too much a part of the game now to actually expect anything to be done about it. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I suppose I'm just too cynical.

Gotcha, no sense fighting the tide - or even getting upset when the tide comes in.

Can’t say that I’m a Manny fan, but I agree with you on his hitting - some kind of amazing. However, how much of that hitting prowess was Manny and how much was better living through chemistry.

Killer too is that these guys command huge salaries. Huge salaries that are paid, in large part, by television revenues, that are in turn paid by advertisers, … fast forward ... and ultimately paid for by regular folks buying Campbell’s soup or Ford trucks or….

Gotcha, no sense fighting the tide - or even getting upset when the tide comes in.

Can’t say that I’m a Manny fan, but I agree with you on his hitting - some kind of amazing. However, how much of that hitting prowess was Manny and how much was better living through chemistry.

Killer too is that these guys command huge salaries. Huge salaries that are paid, in large part, by television revenues, that are in turn paid by advertisers, … fast forward ... and ultimately paid for by regular folks buying Campbell’s soup or Ford trucks or….
As I said, I saw Manny up close his first year in pro ball. He was ridiculous then. Patient, beautiful stroke, could hit in any count to all fields. I don't think much of it is from better chemistry, which is the really, really sad part. No amount of chemistry is going to make his outlandish hand-eye coordination any better.

They get huge money because the owners are willing to pay, pure and simple. Yes, it comes back to us but if the owners said stop it would stop. Problem, is the MLBPA is the most powerful union in the world and when you combine that with the anti-trust exemption, if owners said no players would cry 'collusion.'

That's why the Craig Counsell type players aren't in the league anymore --- remember when SS and 2B were only about defense? - they used to hit around .220 with 3-8 HR and 55 RBIs.....

then came the "great" A-rod and others....

man, makes me wonder if Ryno was on something - I think he was the first "power hitting" 2B player

The reason you don't see defense players who hit .220 any more is because there's no way to quantitatively define a defensive player. You win baseball games by scoring runs, not by making spectacular defensive plays. This is the same reason why Manny was such a valuable player. He was a terrible defensive player but a career OPS average of 1.006 means he gets on base and scores runs.

No amount of chemistry is going to make his outlandish hand-eye coordination any better.

Very true. Steroids do not turn a person into a good baseball player. You already have to be good at the baseball part. However, what steroids can do for you is turn your warning track outs into homeruns. And can help you recover day to day making it easier for you to come out swinging with homerun force on day 17 of a 20 straight game stretch. You certainly have to be good at baseball first, but performance enhancers certainly make the player better apt to playing the game at a prime level.

The reason you don't see defense players who hit .220 any more is because there's no way to quantitatively define a defensive player. You win baseball games by scoring runs, not by making spectacular defensive plays. This is the same reason why Manny was such a valuable player. He was a terrible defensive player but a career OPS average of 1.006 means he gets on base and scores runs.

Sabermetrics does a pretty good job of quantifying defense. The reason is, why get an Ozzie Smith who's a defensive wizard, when you can get a A-rod who's a defensive wizard, and capable of hitting .300 and 50HR

Back