Mangy Mingin Molly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I'm one of those guys who likes a little cat piss in his hops. No, not actual cat piss. Just that pungent, ammonia-like character you get from some hops that smells for all the world like cat squirt. It seems like some people can detect it and some can't, and of those who can, only some like it. Well, I'm one of them. And in a moment of sheer genius, the idea of brewing the stinkiest, nastiest (in a good way) IPA targeting that smell came to me. Thus was born Mangy Mingin Molly.

So it's different for everyone, but I get lots of cat pissiness from Citra and Simcoe. Yeah, I know some people get it from columbus or amarillo or cluster or whatever, but it's strongest for me in citra and simcoe. So they're gonna be in there. And it needs to be bitter - like cat piss bitter. And chinook gives about the raspiest, most gravelly bitterness I know of. So lots of that too. And a subdued grain bill to keep the malt flavors in the background while letting the bitter and piss really shine. Oh, and cat piss color too, of course.

Mangy Mingin Molly

OG 1.066
SRM 5.6
IBU 100+

12 lbs 2-row pale malt
0.5 lbs carapils
0.5 lbs honey malt

2 oz. chinook FWH

1.5 oz. citra 10 min
1.5 oz simcoe 10 min

1.5 oz citra flameout
1.5 oz simcoe flameout

1 oz citra dry hop
1 oz simcoe dry hop

wyeast 1272 American Ale II

There you have it. A dirty, pungent, cat piss beer, and I'm sure I'll love it. All that's left is to brew it. First though, where are you guys getting citra and simcoe hops these days? It looks like Midwest may be the best option right now. Any other sources I should look at?

Also, this beer needs a logo. Any artists who will work for beer around? I'll trade a six pack of the finished beer for a logo featuring a dirty, busted, sluttish female cat complete with flies buzzing around holding a beer. I'm kinda picturing like an emaciated, drunken, swearing, turn of the century prositute in urban England. Do you know what I mean?

I know you guys are dying for an update, so here goes.

I brewed up this thing on May 19. I ended up backing down the chinook fwh at the last minute to get 77 IBU. Instead of crazy-bitter I decided I wanted normal IPA-bitter.

The WY1272 took off like a champ and had the thing down to 1.012 in 3-4 days. I pitched at 64 and let it rise to 66 at 48 hrs. At the 1 week mark I slowly crash cooled to 40 and let it sit there until yesterday, where I kegged it along with an oz of simcoe and an oz of citra. Tastes great already and I'm sure once it's carbed up and the dry hops are extracted, it will be even better. Pictures and final report coming soon.

I know you guys are dying for an update, so here goes.

I brewed up this thing on May 19. I ended up backing down the chinook fwh at the last minute to get 77 IBU. Instead of crazy-bitter I decided I wanted normal IPA-bitter.

The WY1272 took off like a champ and had the thing down to 1.012 in 3-4 days. I pitched at 64 and let it rise to 66 at 48 hrs. At the 1 week mark I slowly crash cooled to 40 and let it sit there until yesterday, where I kegged it along with an oz of simcoe and an oz of citra. Tastes great already and I'm sure once it's carbed up and the dry hops are extracted, it will be even better. Pictures and final report coming soon.

Nice! But hows the cat-pissyness?

What I want to know is how you managed to collect a large enough volume of cat piss to know what color it is? ;)

Back