Mangrove Jack's M27 in a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZmannR2

Reaction score
I've read nothing but incredible reviews on this yeast so decided to give it a try. Brewing a saison with flaked wheat, red wheat, paradise seeds and coriander, and Tradition, Cluster, Saaz hops and I pitched the yeast at 86 degrees.

Per manufacturer recommended temps is 79-90 degrees so I plan on keeping it right at 85 or so.

I can't read enough on this stuff as there are limited reviews out there so I wanted to get fresh views on this stuff and at what temps.

I HATE banana esters but love that spicy old world taste of certain Belgian saisons and the description seemed to be right what I need.

How about y'all?

I've used this yeast 4-5 times in the past and I'd say its more grassy / clove flavors than fruity. Never gotten any banana from it. The flavor is rougher and little more muddled than saison yeasts, and I find it works really well as the backbone for other ingredients (i.e. citrusy hops, lemon zest). That's not to say that it's bad, I've really enjoyed every beer I've made with it.

I usually let it ferment at ambient temps (60F - 75F). One time I let it ferment at ambient for a day or two, then threw it on a warming pad and it got up to 90F. At the lower temps its pretty mild, and even at 90F the phenols were pleasant. Always attenuates like crazy.

It's always given me dry, spicy beer. I'm with you on the banana-hating, and have never gotten a hint of that with M27. I haven't tried it at high temps though - usually around 70-75F. Brewed a cucumber saison with it a couple years ago that went to 1.000 (partly cuz I mashed really low).

Back