Mango Wine Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEP32

Reaction score
The biggest problem I am having is pulp removal and clarification. Now dont get me wrong, im not shooting for a crystal clear product here, but I am having a lot of trouble removing what I guess I would call “pulp”. The surface chucks were easily removed during first rack. The issue is the darker yellow pulp which settles about halfway. I used a mango pulp drink (which you can find in most international aisles in the grocery store). Only ingredients are “mango pulp, sugar, water”. My recipe is as follows:
1 gal Mango Pulp drink
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp pectic enzyme
100g added sugar for an initial SG of about 1.104

1 campden tablet 24 hr before pitching yeast Lalvin EC-1118

After fermentation (roughly 5 days) sat for 3 weeks. Everything settled well for about a week but then halted and nothing seemed to settle any further. Tried using a coffee filter while racking but the speed isnt really conducive while trying to siphon. Anyone try a similar recipe and learn anything I might be missing?
Thanks!
Jim

Attachments

• 27A5FA7D-F028-43BE-896A-9DCE87514969.jpeg
    27A5FA7D-F028-43BE-896A-9DCE87514969.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Did you add pectic enzyme? That helps a lot with clearing. The best time to add it is before fermentation, but some people have tried adding it later.

In my experience, this is a thing with mango wine. I've made it twice using canned mango pulp and a recipe from here: Homemade Mango Wine Recipe

The pulp is very fluffy and fine and it just doesn't compact down, so you lose a fair bit of the volume. There is pectic enzyme in the recipe, so the end result is clear wine - and on the plus side, it's really yummy! You just have to start a bigger batch than usual.

Give it few months, you’ll see it becomes kind of transparent, with hint of colour and on the bottom of bottle, you’ll see orange colour trub, you can then slowly rake it. Add a clove to each bottle to get more mangoish aroma

In my experience, this is a thing with mango wine. I've made it twice using canned mango pulp and a recipe from here: Homemade Mango Wine Recipe

The pulp is very fluffy and fine and it just doesn't compact down, so you lose a fair bit of the volume. There is pectic enzyme in the recipe, so the end result is clear wine - and on the plus side, it's really yummy! You just have to start a bigger batch than usual.
Whoops. I did forget to mention I did have 1tsp of pectic enzyme in the recipe. It definitely has that fluffy appearance you mention. So maybe this is just going to be a lower yield wine than I have made so far?

Whoops. I did forget to mention I did have 1tsp of pectic enzyme in the recipe. It definitely has that fluffy appearance you mention. So maybe this is just going to be a lower yield wine than I have made so far?
That was my experience! The amount of wine bottled was only 50-60% of the original volume of must. I did better the second time, because mid primary fermentation I moved the whole lot to a big glass carboy without an airlock, so I could see what I was doing when I siphoned it off the pulp and gunk. It does separate quite well into two layers.

That was my experience! The amount of wine bottled was only 50-60% of the original volume of must. I did better the second time, because mid primary fermentation I moved the whole lot to a big glass carboy without an airlock, so I could see what I was doing when I siphoned it off the pulp and gunk. It does separate quite well into two layers.
Sweet. Good to know it is just the nature of the beast with this one. Thank you for the insight!

Back