Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK i just got done reading through all 3638 posts and somewhere along the way (wish I would have started from the beginning) I started collecting some CLASSIC quotes.
I thought it would be amusing and break the monotony of... i followed the recepie exactly except.....
so any how here they are.(sorry if i didnt give everyone there credit but you know who you are)

Yeah, but you can die from all sorts of activities like driving to work, dropping a carboy, plane crashes, asteroids, etc.

It will sneak up on you so fast, you'll wake up and wonder where your pants are.

I don't recommend adding more than 3 pounds of dextrose to a 5 gallon batch. Any more will make it drier than a popcorn fart.

Whats the 3 glass rule ?
Ya gotta drink 3 glasses before passing judgment.
Depending on the size of the glass, some folks just pass out before passing judgement.

Yep, you can get hammered before quaffing too much to instigate irritable bowel syndrome.

It's crisp, clean, & refeshing, all making you want more. Then a little buzz will start. Hey, this is pretty good!! Before you know it pint glasses are going down with such ease right before you pass out.

Originally Posted by EdWort
Drink a quart of water and take 3 aspirin before going to sleep tol help reduce the effects of excessive Apfelwein consumption as well as the urge to call EdWort a M'F**kR the next morning![/b]

Yes, grasshopper, the goal does seen so outlandish that it can make one wet himself profusely, BUT it can be achieved if you build up a 30 gallon stockpile and put some away just to see the difference. It is a worthy goal and the rewards are great!

I realized later that corn sugar dissolves easier than listerine strips. wtf???

Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Guys in prison use it all the time, and they seem happy with the results.
They also do other things that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be happy with.

Originally Posted by BigKahuna
if this is the "Elephant Fart" smell you all talk about, I'VE BEEN HORRIBLY MISINFORMED ABOUT ELEPHANTS.

I think I've crossed that line...between Hobby and mental illness!

After reading recent posts I think this stuff might cure cancer, establish world peace and grow hair!

Even the heartiest biggest rough and tumble lumberjack Oil Rigger will have issues if he doesn't mind his apfelwein

My sister passed out, my wife is still puking this afternoon and my head felt like it got smashed between 2 bricks. This stuff is amazing but holy sheet it sneaks up on you faster then a phantom fart.

Just wait till you get the "Maybe You'd like to sleep with your Damn Apfelwein...That's all You ever talk about" Speech.
I got that one Sunday Silly woman.

I know they are :off: but it was just for fun

:mug:
Tom
Someone...NOT IT...should clean this up a bit and take it to the Quotes thread..... https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=788375&posted=1#post788375

Has anyone tried substituting brown sugar for the corn sugar? Just wondering if it might add some complexity to the taste. I know EdWort went for a specific example of Apfelwine but I'm curious what the brown would do.

Has anyone tried substituting brown sugar for the corn sugar? Just wondering if it might add some complexity to the taste. I know EdWort went for a specific example of Apfelwine but I'm curious what the brown would do.

Ya...that comes up about every 2 or 3 weeks. I'ts ok, but it's not Apfelwein....Check out the cyder Forum....It's discussed nearly to death there. Just to give a strait answer....use 2# and 5 gallons....see what happens.

Rhino Farts?? I made 5 gallons, and gleefully anticipate the nasty smell permeating my bathroom. Hoping it's enough to make the SWMBO gag and yell at me. So far it's been slightly gross, but not bad at all.

When does this start? How long will it last?

after a month I needed the carboy so I transfered the Apfewein into a keg to age. I decided to taste it just to see what it was like after a month. The immediate flavor was extreme dryness / tartness, and then a finish of a hint of possibly vinegar. Is that what Im suppost to be tasting ??? Thanks

The immediate flavor was extreme dryness / tartness, and then a finish of a hint of possibly vinegar. Is that what Im suppost to be tasting ??? Thanks

I had the same taste only earlier in the process and someone told me it is the taste of yeasties still in suspention. i cant cofirm or deny this though just what i was told
Tom

after a month I needed the carboy so I transfered the Apfewein into a keg to age. I decided to taste it just to see what it was like after a month. The immediate flavor was extreme dryness / tartness, and then a finish of a hint of possibly vinegar. Is that what Im suppost to be tasting ??? Thanks

IT's fine.

and will get better.

Rhino Farts?? I made 5 gallons, and gleefully anticipate the nasty smell permeating my bathroom. Hoping it's enough to make the SWMBO gag and yell at me. So far it's been slightly gross, but not bad at all.

Within a few days. I have 18 gallons getting ready. Personally, I call it the aroma of fermentation. :D Good thing for me that SWMBO is addicted to the stuff. :cross:

The smell, or the SWMBO gagging and yelling? The latter will go away after SWMBO consumes a few pints of the finished fine Apfelwein. The former... a few days into fermentation.

I just returned from Germany where all I drank was Apfelwine or as some called it Feetz (or something like that) and you got the taste nailed. I have to say I due enjoy the hire octane of yours. Great job Edwort thanks for bringing us this awesome brew :mug:

My Original Recipe is fermenting along quietly in the balmy interior of our coastal Georgia home. A query to the masses: Have any of you brewed Apfelwein at high temps (range 77 to 81 degrees F?)? What was the result in time and taste?

I just returned from Germany where all I drank was Apfelwine or as some called it Feetz (or something like that) and you got the taste nailed. I have to say I due enjoy the hire octane of yours. Great job Edwort thanks for bringing us this awesome brew :mug:

You're welcome.

Viez is what they call it in the Württemberg Moscht, Trierer Land, and Merzig areas. In the state of Hessen (where Frankfurt is) they call it Äppelwoi (pronounced Eppelvoy).

I enjoy the octane boost too. You can't tell the difference, except after 3 glasses. :D

My Original Recipe is fermenting along quietly in the balmy interior of our coastal Georgia home. A query to the masses: Have any of you brewed Apfelwein at high temps (range 77 to 81 degrees F?)? What was the result in time and taste?

77 is the high end where I ferment mine. Most of the the time it is 75 to 72 degrees ambient temp and they turn out fine.

I made another batch last night. I was cooking dinner at the same time and I accidentally put in all four pounds of the dextrose instead of two. Uh oh...:drunk:

Get another carboy and pour half of it into it, then top off with fresh juice and you will be good to go.

I did one once with 3 lbs and it was a big hit at a party. I had to run for my life the next day. :D

Ill be making a batch of this soon. Once I told my roommate I would be homebrewing he mentioned making hard cider.

I instantly thought of good ol EdWort's ApfelWein. Thank god I bought that extra keg, dont know how I would feel drinking cider out of a bottle (woodchuck cider style).

Props EdWord!

Get another carboy and pour half of it into it, then top off with fresh juice and you will be good to go.

I did one once with 3 lbs and it was a big hit at a party. I had to run for my life the next day. :D

Genius, Ed, pure genius. 5 more gallons of apple juice it is. I guess I can think of this first batch as a giant yeast starter. :D

Genius, Ed, pure genius. 5 more gallons of apple juice it is. I guess I can think of this first batch as a giant yeast starter. :D

There ya go. I'm glad you are going this way, otherwise, you would consume too much and go the way of your avatar. :drunk:

Ya...that comes up about every 2 or 3 weeks. I'ts ok, but it's not Apfelwein....Check out the cyder Forum....It's discussed nearly to death there. Just to give a strait answer....use 2# and 5 gallons....see what happens.

My bad, should have searched first I know. :D

The smell, or the SWMBO gagging and yelling? The latter will go away after SWMBO consumes a few pints of the finished fine Apfelwein. The former... a few days into fermentation.

It's been a few days and the smell isn't that bad. IMO. Sh ehasn't even complained. I told her to get right up there and sniff the airlock and see if she can notice the subtle aromas. She must have figured out I was baiting her.

She won't like the stuff, I know already. She likes the sweet wine. That's why I'm looking to get more information on how to flavor with berry and sugar.

Is it possible to leave it in the fermenter too long? I left my last batch in for almost three months before I bottled. Will it make much of a difference?

Is it possible to leave it in the fermenter too long? I left my last batch in for almost three months before I bottled. Will it make much of a difference?

I transfer at three months from primary to another carboy for another 3 months of aging.
When I do that I take my hydro sample and get myself a taste.

mmmmmmm
:)

Hey Ed,
I have been waiting a bit to get the supplies to start this. I decided it was time to get started. I wanted to have a batch ready for this winter. Hopefully I won't mess up the recipe and it'll be good enough to make a batch to share with my family and friends. I doubt I'll be able to finish off a 5 gallon batch between me and my lady anyway. I'll have to share some of this batch if I make a good batch.

I'll be picking up the apple juice & sugar tomorrow when I make my run to sams. I have a pack of nottingham yeast that I think I'll use. I'm not trying to change up your recipe, but I've been reading that a few others have used it with good success. I'll be sure to post up a few pictures when I make this recipe (hopefully tomorrow).

Bottled my first batch yesterday. Had it in the carboy for just over 2 months. Now to wait for it to get ready in the bottle.

IF YOU SCREW THIS UP.....YOU NEED A NEW HOBBY!

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking about this? (This Guy Has NOT tried this yet!)

Haha, the recipe seems super simple! I just hope I don't do something wrong and make it to bitter, or dry, ect ect.

If it turns out well for me, I'd like to make another 10-15 gallons for a large family cookout that we have every late October - early November. I can't wait to give it a try.

Cheers guys! :mug:

Pat

Just checked on it, and wow! That Montrachet works fast! There is some light foam developing on the top. No real buildup but I can tell the yeast is doing its job.

Just checked on it, and wow! That Montrachet works fast! There is some light foam developing on the top. No real buildup but I can tell the yeast is doing its job.

I used Montrachet in my first batch. It worked quickly and didn't produce a lot of foam. I found out I didn't have any more on hand (and couldn't find any more locally) after I filled another carboy with juice so I used Lavlin K1V-1116 upon the recommendation of a local wine supply store owner on Saturday. It took off like a rocket. Tons of foam out of the airlock and onto the floor yesterday afternoon. Couldn't count bubbles, it was more like a continuous stream of foam. It has settled down now to a few bubbles a minute.

I guess I'll have to make another batch - I've got 10 packets of yeast on their way.

P

Have any of you tried mixing different types or brands of apple juice into your Apfelwein? My friend drank before an Ice Wine Apple which was supposed to come from 6 different types of apples and he said it was marvelous. That particular friend of mine seldom if ever drinks alcohol, especially wine. He finished the entire bottle in just 2 sittings.

Have any of you tried mixing different types or brands of apple juice into your Apfelwein?

actually yeah a month ago I mixed 2.5 gallons lucky leaf with 2.5 gallons giant eagle. Tastes very different, and good from my other ones. +1

I tasted my first batch, which has been going about 2 weeks. At first I thought "Damn, that really is DRY!" For a second I thought I didn't like it, but then I wanted more. Like EdWort says, it isn't sweet at all, it is very dry. Keep tasting, and the crack-like quality of this stuff will take hold.

Whew! That sulfur smell is now leaking out of the storage room. I've heard this is common though. Is has become cloudy, and the airlock is ticking away 1-2 times a second. Sounds like everything is as it should be. I will get pictures and a video later if possible.

Cheers,
Pat

Back