Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i made my first batch. 2 months in and i get just a bit of apple flavor, mostly alcohol and yeast flavor. However, this DOES creep up on you, and i expect a full hangover tomorrow! I'll try it again in 1 month, and again 1 year after brewing.

I just bottled my first batch last night after four months in the carboy. She was crystal clear! I'll let it carbonate in the bottles for a few weeks and then it will be time to try it out. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Mine has been in the primary for 9 mos now. I want to bottle condition it with Dextrose. Do I need to add more yeast?

The LBS said I would need to add a package of champagne yeast to my 3 gal.

I've been making Apfelwein for a few years now - great drink especially after about 6 months in the bottle. I've switched over to Pasteur Red yeast which seems to finish the Apfelwein off with a little more Apple flavor.

Had a hankering to try something else so I brewed up 3 gallons of Apelfwein substituting Ocean Spray Cran-Raspberry juice in for Tree Top. After 6 months in the bottle we popped a top the other night and it woohoo - very nice!! We call it; Cran-Raspawein Very dangerous....

We've got a couple of bottles that we mixed 50/50 Apfelwein/Cran-Raspawein..... we're going to let them sit a little longer.

Just thought I'd share the new experiment make a recommendation if you're looking for something similar but different. Enjoy.

BJ
Salem, Or

I was just reading through some of the more recent posts - let me make a suggestion to those that are just bottling or that are 2 to 3 months in to their first batch - start another batch ASAP, it takes too long to make so don't wait around! For the money you can't beat this stuff at a party - you'll be a hero!!! HAHA.... LOL

BJ
Salem, Or

I want to throw together a 2 gal. trial batch of this stuff in a Mr. Beer fermenter. Will I be ok with the following ratios: 2 gal. apple juice, 1.5 lbs. corn sugar, and half packet of yeast?

I want to throw together a 2 gal. trial batch of this stuff in a Mr. Beer fermenter. Will I be ok with the following ratios: 2 gal. apple juice, 1.5 lbs. corn sugar, and half packet of yeast?

Sounds a little high on the sugar. Original recipe is for 5 gallons using 2 lbs of sugar. A 2.5 gallon batch would use 1 lb of sugar. I would probably pitch the whole packet of yeast.

smokewater said:
Sounds a little high on the sugar. Original recipe is for 5 gallons using 2 lbs of sugar. A 2.5 gallon batch would use 1 lb of sugar. I would probably pitch the whole packet of yeast.

Yeah, smoke, what was I thinking? Just a little under a lb. of sugar sounds about right. As far as bottling sugar goes, should 2 oz. for the batch be sufficient? What kind of temps should this stuff ferment at after pitching the yeast?

First batch came out really tart, going to try it again after it's aged a while.

second batch started with the slurry from the first batch, different apple juice. (first was mott's this was some organic pressed juice from HEB)

Decided I'd flavor up this second batch a little bit. Made a wet caramel with sugar and noticed I had some cinnamon sugar so I added that along with some vanilla. So, the wet caramel got nice and hot and dissolved into the water and I poured it into the secondary. We'll see how it comes out.

Didn't follow the recipe exactly with this second batch but my Gravity today was 1.020. The yeast was a little mixed up into the liquid though so I'm sure that threw off my reading.

Hi guys, I am thinking about throwing a few carboys with Ed's Apfelwein together but I got a few quick questions.

What is a typical OG?
Max recommended temperature? (I live in a condo).

The consensus seems to say "carb it"! From what I've read of this 800 page thread.

Made a 5 gal batch 4 days ago & followed the original recipe exactly. Crazy nonstop fermentation activity from the 1st day... One tip... don't worry about the smell! My girlfriend hated the odor (and she's normally not one to complain about my brewing stuff) and I was at the point where I was going to make a filter or add nutrient or one of the other suggestions from this thread. but i woke up this morning and the smell was gone! Apfelwein teaches patience... listen to your aplfelwein...

FWIW, I've done 3 batches of this and have changed it up each time. The first, I followed the original recipe (4/21) and carbonated it with 1/3 cup corn sugar. It is plenty carbed. Not much apple flavor yet but is still good.
The second batch (5/15) I added 6 cans of apple raspberry Old Orchard concentrate to 3 gal. apple juice. I boiled about 2 gal. of water to mix with the Old Orchard. For some reason this seems more tart than the original but still drinkable.
The third batch was 40% cranberry 60% apple (6/10). At bottling I boiled 1 cup water, let cool and mixed in 1 1/2 packet of cran/apple crystal light and added it to the carboy a couple of days before bottling last Saturday. It sweetened it up a little. I then added 1/4 cup of corn sugar for carbonation. We shall see how it turns out.
I'm experimenting with the lemon crystal light in my hard lemonade also. :off:

So i'm a total noob with this stuff. I mixed up a batch left it in the carboy for 4 weeks, it was crystal clear, the gravity was 1.000, i moved it to a keg and was planning on letting it age in the keg till Christmas. Any issues with letting it sit in the keg that long?

:mug:

I think i just answered my own question. Search is your friend. Search is your friend.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/aging-cornelius-keg-71435/

Well now it's my turn to make some of this stuff. I went to Costco yesterday to buy my juice. My local Costco doesn't carry TreeTop, so I bought the Kirkland brand, 100% pressed apple juice, Ingredient list: apple juice. I think this stuff should work really well. The rest of my ingredients are scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, so it looks like I'll be putting it together next Saturday. Should be ready to sample in Sept. or Oct. I'm going to follow the original recipe and bottle carb with 3/4 cup corn sugar.

My first batch of Apfelwein was fermented in a 5 gallon brew bucket. I used Montrachet and 3 lbs of cane sugar. I aged it in the bucket for 3 months and carbed it in 2 liter soda bottles using about 1.5 Tbs cane sugar in each 2 liter bottle. After 2 weeks the bottles were rock hard so I chilled one and took it over to share with my neighbors. They were quite impressed and told me they would buy it from me! LOL

A most satisfying experience.

@ BigHefty, I have used both and I actually prefer brown sugar. Dextrose is used because it is a very natural sugar that doesn't impart much flavor. Brown sugar has some molasses and almost woodsy flavors, which I think do well with cider. To each their own, but I am sure you'll enjoy it!

@wolverinebrewer, what was the time frame from start to drinking? With Apfelwien, the best thing I have found to do is give it plenty of time (ie at least 5 months) before drinking. At this point the apple flavor is back and I don't notice the dryness as much as it has become exceedingly mellow.

@static, You will have no problems other than finding that your keg has mysteriously run dry, from all the "little" taste test you have been doing ;)

@ Johnnybob, I have use the Kirkland juice myself, it's an excellent choice, I prefer it over motts or treetop. It's fresh pressed apples and a bit murky like a good cider should be. Enjoy. The waiting is the hardest part.

@ WineCheif, It sure is satisfying isn't it! I just had a friend in Michigan call me to tell me that he went on a cider brewer tour and that he vastly preferred my cider to swill they were peddling as "craft cider." Now I just need to wrangle a sales deal out of it, like you;)

Enjoy the Apfelwein everyone, and thanks again to Edwort for the brilliant recipe!

Doc, in my post, for each batch I listed the dates that I made those. The dates were in parentheses. The first one was in April so none have been sitting too long and by reading most of this thread, I understand the flavors will get better. I like the original recipe even though the flavor still isn't quite there but a few people I've shared with kind of didn't think it was a great drink. I'm hoping it improves slightly. The 40% cranberry batch is a little sweeter right at bottling but I've have not shared it with anyone yet. I'm happy Ed shared this with us as it seems I've been drinking more of this stuff during this crappy hot summer.

Ed, great recipe I like the extra boost.

I followed the recipe to the T.

I just bottled it today after 5 months in the carboy. It should be good to go for Thanksgiving!

IMG_2629.jpg

I made batch of this stuff and it came out amazing! Stupid I left my carboy with another batch full in a hot attic 90+ degrees it wasnt too hot at first and i had airlock activity it's been sitting in said carboy for about 2 months... no real color change and no cheap vodka left in the airlock... i was going to carb with priming sugar tomorrow but i think my yeast may have died! Any thoughts, help suggestions... should i taste it it uncarbed? will it taste vineagary if bad?? Can I repatch the yeast? I used Red Montrochet btw! (and before you say it I know I was foolish to leave the carboy in the attic.... basement it is from now on!) Thanks for all your help and insight guys! Also, if infact this yeast has died and i cant fix the problem im starting a new batch tomorrow! "Noob who should've known better!!!"

I made batch of this stuff and it came out amazing! Stupid I left my carboy with another batch full in a hot attic 90+ degrees it wasnt too hot at first and i had airlock activity it's been sitting in said carboy for about 2 months... no real color change and no cheap vodka left in the airlock... i was going to carb with priming sugar tomorrow but i think my yeast may have died! Any thoughts, help suggestions... should i taste it it uncarbed? will it taste vineagary if bad?? Can I repatch the yeast? I used Red Montrochet btw! (and before you say it I know I was foolish to leave the carboy in the attic.... basement it is from now on!) Thanks for all your help and insight guys! Also, if infact this yeast has died and i cant fix the problem im starting a new batch tomorrow! "Noob who should've known better!!!"

The first time I brewed anything.... which was grape wine back in college 10 years ago, I let the airlock go dry also, maybe a week or so. It already had a vinegar taste to it. Taste yours though... you never know.

Before using another packet of yeast, test the gravity to see if any sugar's left.

Just started a 6 gallon batch of the original recipe. This is my first attempt at fermenting (besides bread), and I have high hopes.

Thanks Ed!

The first time I brewed anything.... which was grape wine back in college 10 years ago, I let the airlock go dry also, maybe a week or so. It already had a vinegar taste to it. Taste yours though... you never know.

Before using another packet of yeast, test the gravity to see if any sugar's left.

I LUCKED OUT! Tasted like cider!!! 3 bottled 2.5 cases yesterday! :rockin:

So, a couple minutes after mounting the air lock, I found a good portion of my dextrose in suspension (not solution) near the bottom of the carboy. This would explain my relatively low OG (1.05).

I'm guessing that over the course of a month's fermentation, the sugar will find its way into solution, but I'll have to remember that calculated ABV will not necessarily reflect reality.

I know, RDWAHAHB, but when this is your first attempt, that's not an option.

@Daver77 - I've got a 5 gal batch that's been sitting for 3 months now. I read through the first 20 pages of this thread and didn't see an answer so I'm giving up and just asking... Did you have to add any yeast and/or fermentables prior to bottling?

Thanks.

catalyst156 said:
@Daver77 - I've got a 5 gal batch that's been sitting for 3 months now. I read through the first 20 pages of this thread and didn't see an answer so I'm giving up and just asking... Did you have to add any yeast and/or fermentables prior to bottling?

Thanks.

Very first post states use 3/4 cup corn sugar to bottle carbonate.

I'd be cautious in case this stuff finishes with a high FG. I've had near bottle bombs in the past with high FG brews that sat on the yeast for 2 months. Personally I think I'm gonna bottle this one like wine and kill the yeast off first or keg it.

Sam's club this weekend requires no membership and is open to the public, well atleast here in TN...So if you need apple juice.....

:mug:Mike

I threw together a batch of this in a free Walmart frosting bucket I had laying around that I got from the bakery.

I had drilled it for an airlock but thinking it 5 gallons hadn't brewed a smaller batch of beer. Unfortunately it only held 4.25 gallons of apple Juice. Should have measured it first.

The good thing is I have 3 of them and they will be perfect for 4 gallon batches. Since Costco sells juice by the 2 gallon packages that is perfect. This first batch will be a bit strong though since I already had 2 lbs of sugar in before realizing all my juice wouldn't fit.

I have tons of these! (the other half works there) Infact I am drilling 3 today for airlocks. I'll do the math later or has anyone else? Sorry had a couple Spatan Optimators today..:cross:

Very first post states use 3/4 cup corn sugar to bottle carbonate.

Fair enough... Doesn't answer the question about yeast though. I used the Montrachet wine yeast and it's been sitting in the basement at about 68 degrees the entire period. I just want to make sure if I bottle it that there is going to be some yeast around to do it's thing.

catalyst156 said:
Fair enough... Doesn't answer the question about yeast though. I used the Montrachet wine yeast and it's been sitting in the basement at about 68 degrees the entire period. I just want to make sure if I bottle it that there is going to be some yeast around to do it's thing.

Spoke with someone who made this and they didn't add yeast when bottled after 3 months.

I have tons of these! (the other half works there) Infact I am drilling 3 today for airlocks. I'll do the math later or has anyone else? Sorry had a couple Spatan Optimators today..:cross:

Three 4gal buckets will net you 12gal total. If they actually hold 4.25gal each, then 12.75gal total.

It's pretty easy math, but Optimators will do that... :cross: ;)

If they are the same size as mine they will be perfect for 4 gallon batches using 1.6 lb of sugar. Since Costco sell the juice in 2 gallon packages that is perfect. As strong as this stuff is unless you are a sot you probably won't go through it as fast as 5 gallons of beer so for my purposes the smaller volume is good.

Well I followed this recipe to the letter and now I have some pretty dry cider. I am going to be kegging this stuff so I should be able to add about a pound of lactose to sweeten right? I do not need it real sweet just would like a little bit. The other idea I have is stopping fermentation with Camden tablets and then adding a couple of gallons of apple juice to it. I figured that would give me the sweetness and more apple flavor. Would ethier of these work?

Thanks for any help

Would doing a batch in a 6.5 gallon brew bucket be a problem? (Assuming you followed the recipe exactly) If not could I leave it there for 8 weeks in the plasic bucket?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Back