Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cozmcphish said:
I have a question. I hear all of you talking about adding raspberries to the apfelwein, when exactly do you do this and how much? I finished my first batch last month and have already bottled (half carbed, half still). I found it to be a little on the dry side and was hoping this may solve the problem without being overly sweet on my next batch.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I have tossed frozen raspberries in when starting the batch and have had great success. They will start to look funny, but the flavor will be there. Cherries, sliced oranges, and pineapple chunks work great too :)

I have tossed frozen raspberries in when starting the batch and have had great success. They will start to look funny, but the flavor will be there. Cherries, sliced oranges, and pineapple chunks work great too :)

How much do you normally add to your batch? And do you rack to a secondary fermenter after a certain amount of time?

Thanks

How many volumes should I carb at? I've been searching for this for a while and can't seem to find an answer....too many pages to go through

How much do you normally add to your batch? And do you rack to a secondary fermenter after a certain amount of time?

Thanks

I use about 3-4 pounds of frozen raspberries after 3-4 weeks. I let the raspberries sit for a week and then rack to secondary and let it sit for a few more weeks. The raspberry flavor is great.

Made 5 gals on Monday and making 5 more today. Went with the original recipe. Just finished reading all the threads, yikes.
Planning on leaving the first in the primary for about 2 months and then serving it still with sprite or something for a party in August. The second batch will stay in primary until the end of November and racked to bottles 1/2 carbed and 1/2 still for Christmas, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, Solstice, am I politically correct yet?
Thought about perhaps some strawberries in this as well. I looked for strawberry juice and couldn't find any that wasn't mixed with other juices and preservatives. Thinking maybe just boiling down some strawberries and adding the boilings (huh?) to the mix. This way I get the flavor without the added material of the berries. Is my thinking right here? Should be almost a juice syrup.

I sure would love to try and make this however there are very few homebrew stores near me . The closest one is 112 miles away kind of an expensive trip for yeast and corn sugar. How would this turn out with honey instead of corn sugar? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

virginiabrewer said:
I sure would love to try and make this however there are very few homebrew stores near me . The closest one is 112 miles away kind of an expensive trip for yeast and corn sugar. How would this turn out with honey instead of corn sugar? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Why not order from one of the online brewshops?

virginiabrewer said:

Get dry yeast from internet and use 2 lbs of brown sugar.
I use safeale wb-06, 2 lbs brown sugar, and 2 cinnamon sticks.

I'm experimenting a little this time around. This 5g batch I upped the sugar to almost 3lbs. 2lbs table sugar and almost 1lb of dark brown sugar. Also used lalvin 1116 instead of Montrachet. I am looking for a slight flavor change and a higher abv. Gonna be interesting.

So, is it unreasonable to think that the Apfelwein will continue to 'clean up' after it's been kegged and refridgerated? I know that the yeast will slow down greatly if nothing else, but I'm shocked at the taste difference between the week I kegged this, my first batch and this evening, some 3 weeks later.

I think I'm going to go buy a better bottle just so I can make another batch and 'forget about it for a year', it's bound to be amazing!

I've never been impressed with the one and only batch of this I brewed, but I cracked one tonight for the first time in a very long while, and at over 2 years it has evolved into something quite wonderful. I need to get another batch going...

Ya know, that just reminded me that when I got into brewing (~1.5 yrs), I threw some sugar and yeast into a jug of Motts, and then bottled it... tasted like pure swill, so I threw it on the back of a shelf. Might be time to chill one down and see how it's faring...

Also highlights my need to get farther ahead on my pipeline...

How long is too long to keep in primary?

I started a batch on 4/4 that is still in primary. It is very clear now, but I am too lazy too bottle. It has been constant between 66-70.

I keg my beers, but I will bottle this so I can age it longer.

i cracked a bottle the other day that had been bottled at least a year ago, and it was sublime. so much apple, and not very dry

How long is too long to keep in primary?

I started a batch on 4/4 that is still in primary. It is very clear now, but I am too lazy too bottle. It has been constant between 66-70.

I keg my beers, but I will bottle this so I can age it longer.

Mine 1st batch has been in a better bottle for 6 months and isn't getting kegged until late July or August, and then I am going to hit the keg with gas and put it away until October. At least thats the plan. Then start another batch right away. Could I do this on the yeast cake?

I kept a batch in primary for about a year. I think it was too long because it did have some off flavors. Not that it wasn't still delicious and beloved by all, something was still off with it - it didn't seem as good as previous batches.

I'd say 6 months top - then rack to clean carboy if you want to keep it going longer. And that's just off the top of my head...

Hey everyone, I started a new batch on 6/1 its clearing up nicely and has finally stop fermenting. I was thinking of racking to the secondary and adding fruit. I was thinking blueberries! I thought I read somewhere in this thread someone said to use 3 to 4 lbs of frozen blueberries can anyone enlighten/help me through this? You guys are always GREAT! :rockin:

I made a batch of this on 5/29 and just did a gravity check, thinking it must be done by now (the yeast never really went crazy even though i used nutrient). Its sitting at 1.020, should I pitch some more yeast to try to get that gravity down a bit more? Is there any issue with pitching more yeast at this time?

What temp are you fermenting at? Mine was stuck for the longest time and didnt take off again until ambient temps hit about 73-75 degrees in my fermentation room.

What temp are you fermenting at? Mine was stuck for the longest time and didnt take off again until ambient temps hit about 73-75 degrees in my fermentation room.

It's at 71-72 right now and its been between that and 74 the whole time. Sadly it's the hottest place in my apartment, maybe I'll just have to wait till it gets warmer...

Just bottled my second batch of a modified recipe (used brown sugar instead of dextrose in this one). I was surprised at how much darker the color of this batch was compared to my first regular batch. From the sample I tasted it was slightly different from the regular recipe but only subtly.

anyone ever make a giant batch of this in let's say a jack daniels barrel? Just curious on how you think this would turn out. I would pry go with the classic edworts recipe scaled up and just wait it out for the next 6-9 months...

anyone ever make a giant batch of this in let's say a jack daniels barrel? Just curious on how you think this would turn out. I would pry go with the classic edworts recipe scaled up and just wait it out for the next 6-9 months...

I think autolysis could be an issue with that much weight and pressure on the yeast.

I'm not concerned about autolysis on the yeast, a barrel on it's side isn't much taller than a carboy... at most it's a little over 1 psi at the bottom side of the barrel.

Rhino farts away. Just put my first batch together. Am looking to have it ready and sparkling by late Aug. I am thinking letting it sit until around the first of Aug. then bottle like I would an ale. Let sit for about 3 weeks then chill and serve for my wife's 40th birthday surprise party.

i made a batch back in March, 3 months ago, and it still hasn't cleared. I'm thinking about adding pectic enzyme since the juice was cloudy to begin with. Any one have any luck with pectic enzyme and clearing?

I think i have some sparkolloid to try if the pectic enzyme fails...

i made a batch back in March, 3 months ago, and it still hasn't cleared. I'm thinking about adding pectic enzyme since the juice was cloudy to begin with. Any one have any luck with pectic enzyme and clearing?

I think i have some sparkolloid to try if the pectic enzyme fails...

What happened? Apfelwein is a no-brainer. I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering ... this thing should definitely have cleared by now. What is your fermentation situation? Temp? I don't even know what sparkolloid or pectic enzymes are, but ... RDWHAHB?

What happened? Apfelwein is a no-brainer. I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering ... this thing should definitely have cleared by now. What is your fermentation situation? Temp? I don't even know what sparkolloid or pectic enzymes are, but ... RDWHAHB?

I used non-filtered, organic 365 apple juice from whole foods. I wanted the 1 gallon glass bottles for mead and figured it'd be easier to make 5g of wine than drink all that juice. So, it started cloudy and stayed cloudy. I've seen on HBT that others have mixed results when starting with non-filtered juice. No worries and no problem waiting, lots of homebrew to drink! Fermenting around 69F, used montrachet yeast.

My first First batch is now made and in the basement.

Used Indian Summer juice from Walmart. they had 3 that were labeled "not from concentate" the other 2 were concentrated. added the 2 pounds corn sugar.

used the Red Star Montrachet.

Hoping for the best....

I started my first batch yesterday. It's a deviation because I used six gallons(Tree Top), two packs of (expired :rolleyes:) Lalvin 1118, and haven't added any dextrose yet. I checked the SG of the straight juice and it was 1.050, so that's got some potential by itself. One thing I didn't expect was the three inches of krausen. No matter, it's percolating away and smells like apples. :)

My first First batch is now made and in the basement.

Used Indian Summer juice from Walmart. they had 3 that were labeled "not from concentate" the other 2 were concentrated. added the 2 pounds corn sugar.

used the Red Star Montrachet.

Hoping for the best....

I use the Indian summer juice with excellent results. Also on clearing I use the hottest tap water I can get, no boiling, and add 1 pack Knox gelatin and mix that real well for 30 sec and add that to my carboy and within a week I am crystal clear:)

OK I have let my Apfelwein ferment for the last month or so. Can I bottle condition now with priming sugar to carb and not get bottle bombs or do I need to wait longer? I am planning on just hiding away until Christmas time.

And this morning it is active...

Good deal.

apple wine.jpg

Question: If you want to make a blueberry wine/cider, could you essentially follow this same recipe substituting 100% blueberry juice? If so, what yeast would be recommended?

Thanks.

OK I have let my Apfelwein ferment for the last month or so. Can I bottle condition now with priming sugar to carb and not get bottle bombs or do I need to wait longer? I am planning on just hiding away until Christmas time.

If your wine is 100% clear it is ok to bottle. It should be the same clarity as the juice was before you added sugar and fermented. Then yes add your 3/4 cup of priming sugar and bottle :)

how much suger for a 1gallon batch. going to start 2 batches later today.

One eds way and one with some other kind of juice for fun.

i just strated the normal 1g batch except my lhbs didnt only had Lalvin 1118 so thats what i used.

now i have a 4 extra 1gallon jugs i just picked up and was wondering if i could make another batch with this juice . just wondering if it was a bad idea.

ingeredients -fruit juice from concentrate (water concentrated apple and/or grape / pare / orange and lemon juices) peach puree , natural flavour and vitamin c.

would also be useing lalvin 1118.

Back