Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any 100% apple juice will work the less preservatives it has the better, if your juice has sorbate in it, then find something else sorbate doesnt allow fermentation to take place

any 100% apple juice will work the less preservatives it has the better, if your juice has sorbate in it, then find something else sorbate doesnt allow fermentation to take place

YuP, I use Great Value and also Indian summer. I started a batch of Juicy-Juice White grape and its almost done so I guess Juicy-Juice is good as well. As Gordzilla said anything without preservatives is good, Ascorbic Acid is OK its vitamin C.

ive also found that buying a bag of yeast nutrient is a great investment. I usually add a TSP of nutrient to all my brews/ciders. Just make sure you dissolve all the sugar you add before adding all your juice, i currently have about 2lbs of sugar sitting on the bottom of my glass carboy...haha idiot mistake

hey guys does anyone know if you can use "Mayer Bros Apple Cider" that shaws supermarkets sell? I dont really have any Costco near me to get Top Tree... wondering what other brands are good for the receipe! Thanks in advance! guys!

You want to use juice, not cider. I use food club from Roach bros. right in town. ( Hellava lot cheeper than Motts.) :D

Plunked 23L of Sun-Rype apple juice, 3lbs of dextrose, and a packet of EC-1118 yeast into my fermentation bucket 7 days ago. OG 1.075, took a reading last night, 0.992!

Tastes good too already -- but man was that fast! Kept the 16W heating pad underneath and the must temperature was between 23 - 24C (73-75F) the entire time.

Second batch is going in tonight :mug:

im about 1.5weeks away from bottling my first batch of edworts, thinking i want to back sweeten it. I was gonna use splenda any recomendations on how much i should use? I will be using 5oz of dextrose to carb it up

im about 1.5weeks away from bottling my first batch of edworts, thinking i want to back sweeten it. I was gonna use splenda any recomendations on how much i should use? I will be using 5oz of dextrose to carb it up

I would pull a liter(or half-liter) and sweeten it with splenda until I thought it was perfect and then multiply the amount of splenda by how many liters(or half-liters) are in the carboy. It will allow you to sweeten to what you want. But I think most people use 2 tsp per glass (maybe 8-10 oz glasses) so maybe start there.

I have a question. I used 5 gal of white grape juice and 5LB dextrose, its been going good for a month and 4 days. I used Pasteur Champagne yeast and forgot to measure the OG until it was far too late. My question is, will the yeast survive to carb and what would be a good educated guess for the OG? Thanks guys, this forum is awesome!

@kris - Grape juice is usually higher in sugar content than apple juice. Now it probably depends on the juice you used. Also with that much sugar (5LB?) I am guessing you were over 1.110. Did you use any yeast nutrient? That yeast strain is suppose to be good to 17% and you are going to be pushing that. Your best bet might be to take a gravity sample now or soon and see where it is?
If you are above 1.005ish then I would guess that the yeast has reached its limit. If you get down to 1.002 or lower then you are good and I would guess the yeast is still viable. Now sometimes yeast are pretty resilient and if you try to carb it might work, but I really think you are going to be pushing that 17% alcohol and it will probably be pretty Hot tasting...

Those are just my thoughts...

@kris - Grape juice is usually higher in sugar content than apple juice. Now it probably depends on the juice you used. Also with that much sugar (5LB?) I am guessing you were over 1.110. Did you use any yeast nutrient? That yeast strain is suppose to be good to 17% and you are going to be pushing that. Your best bet might be to take a gravity sample now or soon and see where it is?
If you are above 1.005ish then I would guess that the yeast has reached its limit. If you get down to 1.002 or lower then you are good and I would guess the yeast is still viable. Now sometimes yeast are pretty resilient and if you try to carb it might work, but I really think you are going to be pushing that 17% alcohol and it will probably be pretty Hot tasting...

Those are just my thoughts...

thanks for the info, much appreciated. I just took a measurement and it is at exactly 1.000. do you think I will be able to carb it once it stops ? I do realize I used quite a bit of sugar, kind of an experiment :) BTW it is still actively fermenting. Again, thanks for the response

At a month and a week I would suspect your fermentation may've stopped. Your concoction may just be degassing. Not sure as that is a heck of a lot of sugar.
With that abv your yeast is going to be tuckered out. Throwing another round of sugar at them may cause them to give off funky flavors, if you haven't already developed them. Just advising of the risk. Good luck.
The problem with high abv Aepfelwein is that it is such a thirst-slaker and goes well with everything, that you'll want to drink a fair amount of it. You can handle a lot more Stoeffche at 5-7abv than you can at 17-20abv. You don't get the massive headaches the next morning either.

Just brewed a couple 2 gal batches in my Mr Beer kegs. One of them was the recipe in the OP and one I tweaked a little bit, using a lb and a half of brown sugar and cote des blanc yeast. I'll report back with results :)

Does anybody else mess with the carboy? I can't resist giving it a little shake every time I go in that room and sniffing the airlock. 

jb721 said:
Does anybody else mess with the carboy? I can't resist giving it a little shake every time I go in that room and sniffing the airlock. 

Nah, I try and forget about it for six months.

KoedBrew said:
You are taking the risk of oxidizing it :drunk:

Isn't the head space full of co2 since co2 is heavier than o2? I would have thought all the o2 would have been displaced and forced out the air lock.

jb721 said:
Isn't the head space full of co2 since co2 is heavier than o2? I would have thought all the o2 would have been displaced and forced out the air lock.

Theoretically, yes. But why risk it?

When you shake the carboy you end up compressing the headspace. CO2 is released through the airlock. If your Stoeffche is still fermenting then more CO2 will release from it into the headspace so you are OK. That is true even if the ferment is over as long as the liquid contains dissolved CO2. If, however, your stuff is flat (like after you've shaken it once or twice) then once you force CO2 thru the airlock by the process of shaking you will have created a negative pressure in your headspace - i.e. a partial vacuum. The problem with a vacuum is that nature abhors it and will relentlessly try to overcome it...via seal leaks, suck-back thru the airlock, whatever.
All risk, no reward.

I gave a shake to a carboy of beer once...it was my 3rd batch of beer...And I ruined it from oxidation. You don't need to stir it up after it gets going those yeast get that Must or Wort swirling and take care of everything for you. Also, the viable yeast cells will be either in suspension or on the top layer of the Trub, and those are the ones you want in contact with your beer. When you give it a shake you are actually putting dead yeast cells back into suspension. That may have no effect, but it may have some effect on taste.
You are welcome to do it, but I wouldn't.

I am bottling a 6.5 gallon carboy of Aepfelwein which has spent 6 months and one week on its lees.
No questions or anything... just wanted to make you jealous.

I'm pissed at myself alittle cuz my swmbo shook up the batch i had from 1-11-11. took a sample last night, it has an off taste to it, wonder if i got the wrong kinda sucky sucky

I am bottling a 6.5 gallon carboy of Aepfelwein which has spent 6 months and one week on its lees.
No questions or anything... just wanted to make you jealous.

Lollerz. It ain't workin'. I just tapped a keg that I brewed in June of 2009. It gets better with age.

SWMBO and I are starting to drink a bit more of this now that the weather is turning warm. I still have 5 gallons I started at halftime of the 2010 Superbowl and 5 gallons I started in June of 2010.

I'm going to teach her how easy it is to make the stuff next free moment I get. Mmmmm...Rhino Farts.

Cheers!

Mine has only been going for a little over a week, but I think I am going to bottle one bottle or so at Easter just for people to try, I know it won't be at its peak taste after such a short amount of time, but I'm a little anxious.

But I am wondering, if I am going to drink some after only 6 weeks. Which would be better:
-letting it sit in the carboy and bottling it right before I am about to drink it
or
-putting some in a bottle and letting it sit in there for a week or so

or would either option really not make a difference?

So I had mine fermenting out in the man cave which has no A/C and it got really hot here today. The thermometer on the bottle only goes up to 78 and it was pushing up off the chart. It was still bubbling though. I've since brought it in to the A/C. Think it will be ok? Anybody ever had theirs get that warm? Thanks!

So I had mine fermenting out in the man cave which has no A/C and it got really hot here today. The thermometer on the bottle only goes up to 78 and it was pushing up off the chart. It was still bubbling though. I've since brought it in to the A/C. Think it will be ok? Anybody ever had theirs get that warm? Thanks!

Provided it is still fermenting (which it probably is) i'm sure it will be fine. The only thing that I would be worried about is possible off flavors, but it will still be fine I would guess.

krisabsinthe said:
Provided it is still fermenting (which it probably is) i'm sure it will be fine. The only thing that I would be worried about is possible off flavors, but it will still be fine I would guess.

I wasn't seeing any airlock activity 24hrs after having brought it into a spare bedroom even tho it was still bubbling slow right after I moved it so I added some yeast nutrient I recently got. Hopefully that kick starts it. It's been going almost 2 weeks at 75 and I'd be surprised if it was done although this is my first batch so I have nothing to base that on except what I've read here. I'm pretty sure the packet of Montrachet said it's temp range was 75 max. Think I have another pack I can read. I really hope I didn't let the yeasties die from getting too warm. Stupid sunshine state. If still no airlock activity 24hrs after adding nutrient should I pitch another pack or just wait and see? Also going to check gravity tonight.

I have really been getting into the Yeast Washing thing, Does anyone know if it is a problem to yeast wash Dry Montrachet? I just bottled a batch of Apfelwein and did my beer yeast washing and got 2 jars of yeast from my 3 gallon batch. Now I think I will just pitch it onto my next batch.

I wasn't seeing any airlock activity 24hrs after having brought it into a spare bedroom even tho it was still bubbling slow right after I moved it so I added some yeast nutrient I recently got. Hopefully that kick starts it. It's been going almost 2 weeks at 75 and I'd be surprised if it was done although this is my first batch so I have nothing to base that on except what I've read here. I'm pretty sure the packet of Montrachet said it's temp range was 75 max. Think I have another pack I can read. I really hope I didn't let the yeasties die from getting too warm. Stupid sunshine state. If still no airlock activity 24hrs after adding nutrient should I pitch another pack or just wait and see? Also going to check gravity tonight.

If I am not mistaken the temperature is directly proportional to the ferment times and off flavors. 4 weeks @ ~65 is what is I do. But the first one I did fermented in the mid 70's and finished earlier but had off flavors. Red star Montrachet yeast stats: "Ferments best between 59º and 86º F (15º - 30º C)." So as long as you didnt go above 86 you should be fine. I would go ahead and let it hang out for the full month (2-4 if you can stand it) and you should have a decent drink. The great thing about wines are they are extremely forgiving, and the yeasts are quite resilient. check the gravity and if its 1.0 or below I would say it is done. if not then repitch the Montrachet and let it go another few weeks.

Mine turned out great. I however added 1 pound of lactose at bottling along with a little cinnamon. I toss a clove in bottle a few days before serving.

Hey all! I'm going go pick up my ingridents from this next week! Beinga noob, can someone answer me a stupid question? I have a better bottle that I'm going to use to ferment this. Do I need a blow off tube? I dont seem to have one. I was just going to get the stuff stated and follow the receipe! I have to make a trip to the LHBS and get some supplies first! Another airlock, the wine yeast, dexterose and another themomiter and can slap onto the better bottle. (I bought the deluxe Brewers Best Kit. Came with a Better Bottle and a Fermenting bucket) So in theory I COULD brew two batches of this at once! :mug:

If you use the Montrachet yeast, you will not need a blowoff tube..

I did a quick vid a while back showing apfelwein at the peak of its active fermentation..

Dunno why the vid quality got so bad, but you get an idea..

There is no krausen with Montrachet.. Dont know if the same is true if you use other yeasts.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you use the Montrachet yeast, you will not need a blowoff tube..

I did a quick vid a while back showing apfelwein at the peak of its active fermentation..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lDYn20zuEo

Dunno why the vid quality got so bad, but you get an idea..

There is no krausen with Montrachet.. Dont know if the same is true if you use other yeasts.

Cool thanks for the heads up! :rockin:

I FINALLY kegged my second batch of this that I started on 9-9-09 and left it in the primary the WHOLE time.

It is yummy with some caramel flavors.

Latest posts

Back