Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of yeast? Sounds like you got over-charged; montrachet packets are like $0.59 online, and $1.25 at my LHBS.

Not sure what type of yeast it was but it came in a light brown package about twice the size of Montrachet. All I really read on those packs were the instructions and then promptly 86'ed them. They are still going after 3 weeks.
It's still kind of sweet and I won't be surprised if it sucks. But I drink 2 buck chuck with any flavor crystal light and think it's the cats pajamas when I'm not drinking high dollar micro beers so one never knows.

Ok so I made some apfelwein today but I screwed up a bit. I had a bag of sugar and I thought it was 2 pounds, well when I was done and took my SG it was 1.114 then I noticed my bag was 4 pounds.

Guess it'll be some rocket fuel when done :)

Here's a pic:

DSCF7018.sized.jpg

Yeah 3 gallons. I used Lavlin EC1118 yeast, so it should be able to do the job.

I just "brewed" my fourth.5 batch sunday, its great stuff. Its also a great gateway drug sort of thing. Something decent without a lot of investment in time or equipment. It keeps getting better and better

Should I reserve a special keg for use with just apfelwein? I know people do this with soda making because the stuff really puts strong odors in the keg seals. I'm just curious if the apfelwein leaves odors in the keg that would effect a beer later kegged in it.

If you clean your keg and its components even semi-regularly there shouldn't be any problem.

Should I reserve a special keg for use with just apfelwein? I know people do this with soda making because the stuff really puts strong odors in the keg seals. I'm just curious if the apfelwein leaves odors in the keg that would effect a beer later kegged in it.

So I'm reading here the longer the better in terms of primary fermentation vessel...can I start a batch this weekend and leave it for 5-6mo in the primary or do you need to keg/bottle after 4-6weeks then bottle/keg condition for the remaining period. I dont want to tie up one of my 2 cornys for that long and would much rather have a carboy out of commission until its ready. Thoughts?

5-6 months in primary is fine, some have left it for 9 with no ill effects.

Has anyone use agave nectar instead of dextrose? is this possible?

Sounds like you're trying to make weak, apple-flavored tequila... (I have no idea, but this is pretty forgiving stuff, so it should be fine)

Not sure what type of yeast it was but it came in a light brown package about twice the size of Montrachet. All I really read on those packs were the instructions and then promptly 86'ed them. They are still going after 3 weeks.
It's still kind of sweet and I won't be surprised if it sucks. But I drink 2 buck chuck with any flavor crystal light and think it's the cats pajamas when I'm not drinking high dollar micro beers so one never knows.

Sounds like ale yeast. The result will likely be sweeter, and will finish around 1.000-1.015. Should still be good, though. My first batch was with Koelsch yeast, and that came out really well.

I have 10gal that will be ready to bottle about 2wks apart,i have a couple of cases of 3l glass jugs with screw on lids.could i put a whole batch in these bottles?if i can what type of environment will they need?will they need refrigerated?thanks

Ok so I made some apfelwein today but I screwed up a bit. I had a bag of sugar and I thought it was 2 pounds, well when I was done and took my SG it was 1.114 then I noticed my bag was 4 pounds.

Guess it'll be some rocket fuel when done :)

Here's a pic:

DSCF7018.sized.jpg

Yeah 3 gallons. I used Lavlin EC1118 yeast, so it should be able to do the job.

4 lbs of sugar in 3 gallons of juice?--better keep that stuff away from open flames! When it's done, bottle it and make up some nice labels that say "For My Retirement Party"--the heat oughta just about be smoothed out by then... :cross:

So I did the standard juice + 2# dextrose with d-47. Fermented about 3 weeks - I cheated and gave it a shot of O2 at the beginning. I then added a medium+ toast American oak spiral for about 4-5 additional weeks and then racked off the yeast to a keg.

This is GOOD - I really liked the oak flavors and it improved mouth feel considerably. This will become a standard part of my process.:ban:

4 lbs of sugar in 3 gallons of juice?--better keep that stuff away from open flames! When it's done, bottle it and make up some nice labels that say "For My Retirement Party"--the heat oughta just about be smoothed out by then... :cross:

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of, I'll just bottle it in small bottles, drink one every two months or so and when it gets good, I'll probably be on the last bottle :D

We just bottled our first organic w/brown sugar batch last night - Still quite cloudy, but I'll worry about filtering that unfiltered portion through my liver. In time, I believe, the natural sediment will fall to the bottom of each bottle.

We offered up a taste to our respective SWMBOs last night, they loved it!

I absolutely can't wait to taste this batch when priming is complete! I'm also anxious to do a side-by-side comparison with the original recipe vs. my slightly modified one.

So when I started my first batch, my yeast was dead/old and I ended up with mold forming on the top. I Managed to siphon off and leave the mold behind, threw in a new pkg of EC-1118 and WOW! It took off after about 12 hours and is happily bubbling away, I catch myself checking on it daily! This could be a great new addiction.

So.... One month in the carboy and I decided to give it a taste. Two glasses later, I cant wait to taste it when it ages. Like you all said I better put on another batch now :) Thanks EdWort for the recipe.

Mine was mixed on Jan. 15 and its been bottled one week. I decided to give a bottle a taste. Even thought its very young, I was pleasantly surprised. Its quite tasty and hopefully it will carb up a little more. I'll be making another batch soon. For the ease in which this is to make....Its a hit IMO. Thanks for the long thread to get my attn..

I love apfelwein :D

Got a 9-month old or so still in bottles that is just delicious, got another 4-month old batch that just went into a keg, and just mixed up another batch yesterday with about a 60/40 mix of brown sugar and dextrose. :mug:

mine has seemed to stopped bubbling after 2 weeks, at least there wasnt any activity in the air lock for the 5-10 minutes i was standing there.. is that normal? sorry, this thread is really long.

mine has seemed to stopped bubbling after 2 weeks, at least there wasnt any activity in the air lock for the 5-10 minutes i was standing there.. is that normal? sorry, this thread is really long.

Sure it's normal - mine fermented vigorously for about a week and slowed down to no activity within a second.

I've had a batch in primary since November. It's crystal clear and looks great.

Sure it's normal - mine fermented vigorously for about a week and slowed down to no activity within a second.

alright, so i should leave it in there for a few more weeks then? or is there any point to keep it in there still?

alright, so i should leave it in there for a few more weeks then? or is there any point to keep it in there still?

I've left mine in that long just because I haven't had a chance to bottle yet - too many other stuff in the chute. It's there ready for me though when I need it which is great. I like to bottle my apfelwein in EZ cap bottles.

Consensus seems to be about 4 weeks in primary and it's ready to bottle - will improve with age.

I was thinking of starting a batch for this fall and was wondering if it was ok to keep it in the primary that long so as to not tie up one of my cornys. You are around the 4 mo mark in the primary...would it be ok to leave it in for closer to 6? Then keg? or should I keg it earlier?

I was thinking of starting a batch for this fall and was wondering if it was ok to keep it in the primary that long so as to not tie up one of my cornys. You are around the 4 mo mark in the primary...would it be ok to leave it in for closer to 6? Then keg? or should I keg it earlier?

I have no idea - I've never left it sit this long but I don't see why you couldn't keep it going for that long. I'd like to bottle in March though so it's ready for warmer weather (if that ever visits us again in the Northeast).

I don't know, how about anyone else - what's the longest you've let yours sit in primary?

Your gravity should tell you when it's ready to bottle. Consistent readings over the course of 3 days and you're ready to bottle. My FG was 1.000.

Unless, of course, it's cloudy and you're just waiting for it to clear up in the primary. Then you can wait longer. I didn't, however.

Some guys a few pages back have mentioned that they've let theirs sit for 6 months. I figured that I'm not all about aestetically pleasing beer - as long as it tastes good, I'll let my liver sort things out.

To the guy with the tied up cornys, why don't you just bottle it in 22 oz bottles and start up another batch? For me, the bottle aging is the real waiting game.

I have no idea - I've never left it sit this long but I don't see why you couldn't keep it going for that long. I'd like to bottle in March though so it's ready for warmer weather (if that ever visits us again in the Northeast).

I don't know, how about anyone else - what's the longest you've let yours sit in primary?

6 months in the fermenter would be fine. In fact, you'll likely be glad you let it sit that long once you taste it :mug:

I have a 10g batch in my conical. First week and a half was vigorous, now (2.5 weeks overall) it only bubbles once a minute or so. Plan on testing it the next day or 2 and possibly racking off to a couple of 5g carboys for bulk aging in the cellar for a few months with my meads. Should be a great harvest treat this fall and through next winter. Will probably keg half and bottle the other half in 750 ml wine bottles.

Just tasted my 2nd batch.. Started on Dec 6. Took a gravity (0.998 down from 1.063) and sipped the crystal clear liquid from the hydro tube. Really good! Smoother than my first batch even after much longer bottle conditioning. THIS stuff I could definitely drink without carbonation and I think I will bottle some in wine bottles without priming along with the usual primed beer bottles.

Both my batches had a mixture of Dextrose and Brown Sugar, but this one had a higher ratio of Brown Sugar. Sure seems to have worked!!

I was a little worried about this batch because I used the full recommended amount of Yeast nutrient (1 tsp/gal) and was afraid of off-flavors. With this amount of nutrient I got pretty much NO RHINO FARTS during fermentation.

Just checked it out tonight. 1.063->.995 in a little over 2 weeks. dadayom. That KV-1116 is vigorous. Time to throw it in a couple carboys sometime this week and bulk age...

Okay, i have to ask and sorry if this has already been asked didn't feel like going through ALL 156 pages of this to find out.

How is the name of this pernounced? *newb*

In the part of Germany my family is from it'd be more like "epp fell vhy" (said quickly epfelvy) much like you all becomes "ya'll" and "complete this project" becomes "get 'er done" in the part of the US I'm from :D

I thought it was "git 'er done", no? :cross:

I thought it was "git 'er done", no? :cross:

No, Larry the Cable Guy is not actually from the South, were he a true redneck he'd know it's "get 'er done" you only use GIT if it's say, kids on your lawn, "GIT OFFEN MAH LAWWWWN YA BESTERDS!" or it's a dog jumping on you "GIT DOWN"

Much agreed...if anyone is ever wondering if Larry the Cable guy is really a redneck, listen to him give an interview. Sounds like two completely different people.

No, Larry the Cable Guy is not actually from the South, were he a true redneck he'd know it's "get 'er done" you only use GIT if it's say, kids on your lawn, "GIT OFFEN MAH LAWWWWN YA BESTERDS!" or it's a dog jumping on you "GIT DOWN"

Good call. I wonder what all the truckers and compost workers of the US who listen to Blue Collar Radio would think if they heard/saw this.

But back on topic, I'm intrigued by Recluse's apfelwein recipe - a combo of dextrose and brown sugar. My two batches are all brown sugar and all dextrose.

What was the ratio you used?

Good call. I wonder what all the truckers and compost workers of the US who listen to Blue Collar Radio would think if they heard/saw this.

But back on topic, I'm intrigued by Recluse's apfelwein recipe - a combo of dextrose and brown sugar. My two batches are all brown sugar and all dextrose.

What was the ratio you used?

Mine was roughly 65% dextrose and 35% brown sugar. It was more a matter of what was on hand for me and I'd seen both methods listed here, so off I went. I was surprised how good it tasted already, but it definitely wasn't ready to be had "by the glass" at 2.5 weeks from start of fermentation, haha.

I see. I'm interested to see if a combination of sorts will result in a lower FG. Mine bottomed out at 1.000 with just brown sugar, though I used cotes des blanc yeast. We've got another batch that (save for the apple juice) is exactly the same as EdWort's original recipe. I'm anxious to do a side-by-side comparison - though I'll have to consider that one was brewed about a month later than the other.

A quick taste-test of my uncarbonated batch before bottling was excellent though!

Mine was roughly 65% dextrose and 35% brown sugar. It was more a matter of what was on hand for me and I'd seen both methods listed here, so off I went. I was surprised how good it tasted already, but it definitely wasn't ready to be had "by the glass" at 2.5 weeks from start of fermentation, haha.

Back