Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, personally I've found 8 weeks to be the absolute minimum amount of time before bottling, the longer you can wait the less sediment in the bottles.

Alright, I've had mine in primary for about 5 weeks. Pulled a small sample and it's still cloudy. It needs to sit longer, yes?

Without pectic enzyme It likely wont ever clear completely like a traditional wine from grape juice. Mine sat in a carboy for just over 12 months and its still a little cloudy in the glass compared to grape wine. Tastes great though and nothing to be concerned about.

Using the standard recipe (with Montrachet yeast) how long does this take to condition in the bottle? Ive primed with 5oz corn sugar.
Thanks,
Tom.

Putting this in the Carboy tonight, but my LHBS does not have Montrachet... What about White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast?

I wanna have this drinkable by x-mas... I think starting now gives me plenty of time. :)

D47 works pretty well.

Oky doky.... I think they might have it. Only problem with D47 is that it needs nutrient no matter what it's used for. I used it in a Pear cider once, and just used it in a light mead with a friend. Trying to stray away form extra steps, but if that's all the LHBS has then I will give it a shot.

Using the standard recipe (with Montrachet yeast) how long does this take to condition in the bottle? Ive primed with 5oz corn sugar.
Thanks,
Tom.

It should be ready in three weeks.

Umm... no, not really. After 2 months it will be pretty much fully carbed, but 3 months would be best. This conditions much slower than beer.

Anyone used more apple juice to prime, instead of sugar? If so... how much more juice for a 5 gallon batch for priming?

P.P.S.... anyone added lactose to sweeten? How much? I am looking forward to the outcome~!

My first batch of apfelwein (following the original recipe exactly) just passed 8 weeks in the primary. I'm thinking of just "bottling" it in the original 1 gallon glass jugs and drinking from those - does anyone know if the original caps will seal well enough, or should I go looking for stoppers or some other sealing method?

I bottled 6 liters of original recipe apfelwein in a screw top P.E.T. bottle about 6 months ago and it is holding fine. But I honestly can't tell you how those clear plastic bottles would hold up.

I bottled 6 liters of original recipe apfelwein in a screw top P.E.T. bottle about 6 months ago and it is holding fine. But I honestly can't tell you how those clear plastic bottles would hold up.

They're actually 1 gallon glass jugs with a metal cap

Okay, good and gentle folks, I did it.
I actually read this entire thread from post #1 to here. Every single post and response. Including watched every video, scoped every picture, and visited every link that still worked. I call in research. My wife calls it OCD.

For my first post to this forum, I thought I’d sum up the

11 Things I've learned:

1. Most people do not look for their answer but simply post the question again. Someone said, "they ask the same questions every other page." And that's totally true. There really is a "Search This Thread" function but most people will never use it. All they really need to do is GO BACK about one or two pages and someone else asked the same question there. Again.

2. Most yeasts will work. Yes, the bread yeast will also work but gives it a funky taste. The recipe calls for Red Star Montrachet WINE yeast. One packet will easily work for 1 to 6 gallons of juice. Yes, you can start a new batch on top of the old yeast but you risk ruining an entire batch of Apfelwein for a $1 packet of yeast. Refer to #7.

3. Most apple juices and ciders without preservatives will work. Ascorbic acid is okay. “Made from Concentrate” is okay. You don’t need to boil the juice if it’s packaged, store bought, and says “pasteurized.” Juice appears to clear better and faster than cider because it's already been filtered and has less junk floating around. I even learned the difference between juice and cider. If you use anything other than apple juice, please see #7.

4. Most containers will work. Especially if you can fit an airlock on it. Or, you can leave the bottle caps loose, or use an airlock condom. (BTW, that was priceless) I believe these are popular in college dormitories. You could probably ferment this in the bathtub though the porcelain fermenter located next to the bathtub is usually not recommended until AFTER consumption. Refer to #10.

5. Most sugars (including table sugar, brown sugar, and honey) will work but the recipe calls for dextrose. Table sugar contains extra fructose that leaves the wine a bit sweeter than using just dextrose (corn sugar) because yeast cannot ferment it completely. Corn sugar, priming sugar, and dextrose really are the same thing, and yes, you can use it to prime carbonation. Or, you can use table sugar, honey, or apple juice. And, it’s about 1 ounce of dextrose to 1 gallon of wine for priming. That’s by weight. Pounds equals a weight measurement. So if it says pounds and you use cups, it ain’t exactly right. Cups is a volume measurement. Lactose is for sweetening, it WILL NOT ferment or prime carbonation. Though, I am one of the people that is subject to internat lactose fermentation. It oftens results in a reduction of the benefits stated in #10. I even remember a post about fermenting with corn syrup but don't remember how that one turned out. It’s probably already been asked and I don’t want to read through XXXX pages or use the “Search This Thread” function to find out.

6. When a post starts out, "I know it's already been asked, but let me just ask...." It has been asked, usually on the page right before this one. This statement is often followed by, “I don’t want to look through XXXX pages….” Please see #1.

7. When you change one thing out of a list of three, that's a 33% change. That's a big change. So, when a post says, "I followed EdWort's recipe to a tee but I changed (insert one: Juice; Sugar; Yeast)." It's really a major change to the recipe. This recipe only has three ingredients. Folks, if you change all three items, it's no longer the same recipe. That’s why it tastes different. If you change one item, 1/3 of the ingredients, it’ll taste different. Taste is subjective. No one can answer your question of, “I changed XXXX, what’ll it taste like?”

8. Yeast nutrients are your friend and might keep rhino farts at bay. And, you can only blame so much on the dog. Though, if you tell SWMBO you stayed married to her even though she smells worse, you will never get to enjoy the benefits of #10. I never did learn just how close to get to really sniff test a rhino fart. Or, who tried it first.

9. Patience is key. As it is with any wine. Some folks ask, "It's two weeks since I pitched my yeast and it tastes funny. What do I do?" See #11. Two weeks isn't enough time for the yeasty beasties to really get their work done. The hard part of fermentation might be over, and the air lock a bit quieter, but the clean up still takes time. Give it that time. Don't even bother to taste until it's four weeks past pitch. And, if you taste sooner, whatever happens in your mouth is your fault. And, think of those minute bubbles rolling up the sides of the carboy at the six week mark as left over rhino farts. The ONLY way to tell if fermentation is done is with a hydrometer.

10. Apfelwein is dangerous. It can, and sometimes will, bounce from either end, during and after moderate to extreme consumption, and will often make panties disappear. College age females seem extremely vulnerable to this latter effect, though SWMBOs may be affected (mood music helps) though less so should there be too many rhino farts beforehand.

11. Relax, don’t worry, have a home brew. Usually abbreviated RDWHAHB, is blatant plagiarism from “The Complete Joy of Home Brewing” by Charlie Papazian. We should all tip a glass of homebrewed Apfelwein to him for stealing his catch phrase. Though, in reading the book, he could have left it out about a bajillion times. It wears on the nerves after reading it some 10,000 times in the first chapter alone. Should you not be in a position to RDWHAHB yet, refer to page one of this thread, follow directions, and WAIT as patiently as you can for at least four weeks. See #9.

I'd like to thank everyone that has contributed to my education. After a lengthy phone conversation with a buddy that's been making wine for about 20 years, I've decided to take the plunge and make Apfelwein as MY first home brew. Thank you EdWort for the recipe. As they say, "The check is in the mail," in my case, it's the yeast. The yeast is in the mail. And yes, it's Red Star Montrachet yeast, just like in the recipe.

Well thank you specialkaye for making me feel like an a**hole. :) RDWHAHB. Perhaps I took my OCD meds and was too complacent to read the entire 686 pages of this thread. RDWHAHB.

Haha :) Just poking fun! I loved the summary and find that it applies to MANY of the threads on here.

But remember! Charlie Papazian says **Hat and glass tipped** "Relax don't worry have a homebrew!"

**Hope you have a sense of humor** :ban:

Well I can confirm that apple juice and WLP300 definitely blows off...in fact, it (a 5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon better bottle,) blew off for about a week :eek:

Yep I should have read this post a week ago! I used the WLP300 in my recipe and WOOPS it blew off and my wife freaked out when it was lathering all over the dining room table! I since have transferred it to a 6gal better bottle and it's fermenting away still.

I too want to thanks EdWort for this recipe and to the many whom have added their experiences.

I have had mine in the closet along with a few meads I made.

It wasn't clear 8 days ago when I put it in the closet, so it's only happened recently...and fast at that.

I'll try to get a picture later today when I get home from work.

I just transferred to a keg today after 2 months in primary and it was clear, cept for the smell looked like the apple juice it originally was.

I'm wondering, for those who carbonate the apfelwein;

It has no staying power with the bubbles, correct? No head?

Would it theoretically be possible to heat some of the juice (a gallon or so) to 150oF, then steep some Carapils in the heated juice, and then cool that before adding it to the carboy?

Bottling my first batch today. It's been in the fermenter since Jun 18. I've been taking a taste sample every few weeks and it definitely has been getting better with age. :mug:

I'm wondering, for those who carbonate the apfelwein;

It has no staying power with the bubbles, correct? No head?

Would it theoretically be possible to heat some of the juice (a gallon or so) to 150oF, then steep some Carapils in the heated juice, and then cool that before adding it to the carboy?

There is not much head retention, but then again most commercial ciders don't have it either. As with beer, you would get a bit more head retention at higher temps, but I like my Apfelwein ice cold.

You can try Brandon O's GRAFF recipe which is more of an apple beer using some malt extract and torrified wheat (I used carapils) to generate a beer-like wort that is mixed with apple juice that has great head retention...but again is pretty temperature dependent.

If you heat the juice too much you may set the pectin and end up with a hazy product, but maybe throwing in some Pectinase at the beginning of fermentation would fix that.

There is not much head retention, but then again most commercial ciders don't have it either. As with beer, you would get a bit more head retention at higher temps, but I like my Apfelwein ice cold.

You can try Brandon O's GRAFF recipe which is more of an apple beer using some malt extract and torrified wheat (I used carapils) to generate a beer-like wort that is mixed with apple juice that has great head retention...but again is pretty temperature dependent.

If you heat the juice too much you may set the pectin and end up with a hazy product, but maybe throwing in some Pectinase at the beginning of fermentation would fix that.

Funny you should mention the Graff; I already have some bottled :ban:

Bottled our first batch last night. I used the brown sugar in mine and it came out very tasty. Like Ed says it'll probably take a glass or two to get used too, but it was still good.

We put a dash of black cherry juice (unsweetened) in the glass during some further sampling and it went really well.

So, I put another 4.25gal of apple juice in the fermenter and .75gal of black cherry juice for the next round. I only used 1lb of dextrose this go around. We'll see how batch number two progresses, I'll probably let it sit until the new year sometime.

Thanks Ed.

Hey guys,
I bottled my Apfelwein 3 weeks ago to condition. Added 1 cup dextrose to 6 gallons. No carbonation yet (just opened a bottle).
Its tasty for sure, but no sparkle. Am I doomed to drink 6 gallons flat or is there a chance it will get some fizz?

Hey guys,
I bottled my Apfelwein 3 weeks ago to condition. Added 1 cup dextrose to 6 gallons. No carbonation yet (just opened a bottle).
Its tasty for sure, but no sparkle. Am I doomed to drink 6 gallons flat or is there a chance it will get some fizz?

Wow, look at that... Answered three pages ago... by me!

Umm... no, not really. After 2 months it will be pretty much fully carbed, but 3 months would be best. This conditions much slower than beer.

But, as

What temp was it at?

asked, the temperature does matter. Make sure it's at least mid-60s, preferably closer to 70.

Hey guys,

Did you take a final gravity when you bottled? If not could you take one now.

Fermenting at 78 degrees could have over stressed your yeast.

Bottling at 8 weeks should have left enough yeast.

Hi all,

I have my first 5gal bottle bubbling away nicely for 2 weeks now. I plan on carbing when ready to bottle. Having no beer experience I searched through the posts to learn how to prime. I still have a few questions. Is there a limit on how long you can leave it in the carboy and still have enough yeast left to carbonate? I would like to leave it at least 3 months in the carboy. Is this a bad idea? Is it better to carb & bottle at 8 weeks and then let it sit?

You should be safe at least to the six month mark. I bottled a batch at seven months and it carbed up just fine.

I recommend reading Revvy's bottling tips if you have not done so already. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Hi all,

I have my first 5gal bottle bubbling away nicely for 2 weeks now. I plan on carbing when ready to bottle. Having no beer experience I searched through the posts to learn how to prime. I still have a few questions. Is there a limit on how long you can leave it in the carboy and still have enough yeast left to carbonate? I would like to leave it at least 3 months in the carboy. Is this a bad idea? Is it better to carb & bottle at 8 weeks and then let it sit?

Wow, I made a batch in early August and after it finished fermenting I stuck it behind a chair in the living room and completely forgot about it until today.

The stuff got absolutely crystal clear. It's incredible. I'm going to give it until mid-november and then I'll keg it.

What volume have people been carbing to?

Back