Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those were the types I was thinking about.

As far as glass being better than the Better Bottles, well glass can shatter and adds significant weight, plastic can be easily scratched if you are not careful cleaning the insides.
Thousands of people use glass carboys safely every year, it just depends on how careful you are.
I went with the Better Bottles, but I also have some health issues and they just made more sense for me.

Tom

The kit I was looking at was actually from the same store, the Brewing Intermediate Kit w/Two 5 Gallon Glass Carboys ( glass because I have a sister in-law who is a doctor that has told me several times the dangers of plastic... she knows her stuff, but I think she's a little over paranoid). I couldn't tell if the second bottle was a spare so I could have two batches brewing at once or if it for an extra step in the brewing process. Is the intermediate kit the upgrade you were referring to, or is there an upgrade option somewhere I am not seeing.

Thanks for all the help so far. Does that mean the second carboy is just a spare then and not part of a more advanced brewing process? Do I need any equipment to sanitize everything (other than an extra bottle of Star San- 8 oz)? I'll worry about bottles for this in about 6 months ;)

(though I am thinking of the below 2 liter growlers for a good chunk of it)
http://www.breworganic.com/2literswingtopgrowlerwithhandle.aspx

Also, all the pictures show people using a carboy cap, would you recommend this upgrade?

Those were the types I was thinking about.

As far as glass being better than the Better Bottles, well glass can shatter and adds significant weight, plastic can be easily scratched if you are not careful cleaning the insides.
Thousands of people use glass carboys safely every year, it just depends on how careful you are.
I went with the Better Bottles, but I also have some health issues and they just made more sense for me.

Tom

The second carboy is for secondary "fermentation". Really it is for clarifying (some don't believe it actually does this) or if you want to age it for long periods of time off the yeast, or if you want to age it on oak or fruit. Those are just the basics, but for apfelwein, you don't need a secondary. Just make two batches. Are you sure one of them isn't bigger, like 6 or 6.5 gallons?

I am currently sipping on my first carbed bottle of apfelwein. It is good (3 months after bottling)

It says Two 5 Gallon Glass Carboys and one 6.5 Gallon Plastic Fermenter, though I think there is actually a second description of the same kit elsewhere on the site where they list it as one 6.5 galllon carboy and one 5 gallon carboy (I'm assuming it's supposed to be two five gallons since that's what the kit's title is). My assumption was that the plastic fermenter is the primary and the glass carboy is the secondary. The plan was to use the second carboy for apfelwein if it's there so I can be aging two batches at once, and to buy a third carboy for the apfelwein if both carboys are used for one batch of beer (planning on starting with Irish Red Ale). From what I hear it doesn't matter, I'll end up having have three dedicated to Edwort by the end of the year anyway :) )

The second carboy is for secondary "fermentation". Really it is for clarifying (some don't believe it actually does this) or if you want to age it for long periods of time off the yeast, or if you want to age it on oak or fruit. Those are just the basics, but for apfelwein, you don't need a secondary. Just make two batches. Are you sure one of them isn't bigger, like 6 or 6.5 gallons?

I am currently sipping on my first carbed bottle of apfelwein. It is good (3 months after bottling)

I do not know how well the Growlers hold pressure. I do have several bottles of Grolsch in the refrigerator that are 4.5 months old, testing for the long term. The “Pop” on opening started getting quieter at around 8 weeks and has continued to get quieter as time goes on, definitely less carbonation.

I have not used the carboy caps yet, but plan on getting a couple. This looks interesting. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/siphoning-carboy-cap-2910/

Tom

Thanks for all the help so far. Does that mean the second carboy is just a spare then and not part of a more advanced brewing process? Do I need any equipment to sanitize everything (other than an extra bottle of Star San- 8 oz)? I'll worry about bottles for this in about 6 months ;)

(though I am thinking of the below 2 liter growlers for a good chunk of it)
http://www.breworganic.com/2literswingtopgrowlerwithhandle.aspx

Also, all the pictures show people using a carboy cap, would you recommend this upgrade?

Good to know. In that case when the time comes I will just get enough for what I'm bottling short term and beer-bottle the rest.

Just bottled my first batch yesterday. What is the recommended aging period for this stuff?

If you like it carbonated, mine took a good 3 weeks in the bottle after priming to reach the level I liked. It was pretty much drinkable right away (though I had it in the fermenter for 8 weeks) but keeps getting better.

If you like it carbonated, mine took a good 3 weeks in the bottle after priming to reach the level I liked. It was pretty much drinkable right away (though I had it in the fermenter for 8 weeks) but keeps getting better.

I've heard the same thing as well...I think the first page of this thread states that it "hits its stride @ 6 mos, @ 8 mos, it'll blow your mind" or something like that.

This is definitely one for which to exercise patience. I know I'm going to have to...I just brewed my first batch on Saturday!

I've heard the same thing as well...I think the first page of this thread states that it "hits its stride @ 6 mos, @ 8 mos, it'll blow your mind" or something like that.

This is definitely one for which to exercise patience. I know I'm going to have to...I just brewed my first batch on Saturday!

The trick is keeping it around that long!!! I am going to hide away 3 or 4 bottles from my first batch..and my second batch should be ready for bottling in about a month so I won't be tempted to crack into the Reserve.

How long was it in the fermenter before bottling?

I guess I should have posted a bit more information! I started my first batch [a 2.5 gallon half batch actually] on November 17. About a week to ten days ago I added 5oz of wine conditioner to sweeten it up a bit and to stop fermentation. I wanted to make this one a still batch - if I like apfelwein I'll try a sparkling batch later.

I guess I should have posted a bit more information! I started my first batch [a 2.5 gallon half batch actually] on November 17. About a week to ten days ago I added 5oz of wine conditioner to sweeten it up a bit and to stop fermentation. I wanted to make this one a still batch - if I like apfelwein I'll try a sparkling batch later.

It's probably drinkable at any time. Personally, I'd give it another month though. If you can wait for the 6-8 month range then more power to you!

I am more used to sparkling ciders, though I did bottle some still. Also thought I would like it sweeter, but the dry sparkling version was really good. I had been drinking Woodpecker brand Cider and now I (and a friend of mine who can't seem to get enough of my Apfelwein) much prefer the Apfelwein.

I've got a couple 1.5L wine bottles that I filled a year ago... I can't bring myself to open them to see how it's come out. :(

I've also got a whole batch that I oaked and sulfited, and bottled in April. At 6 months it was definitely not ready. Hopefully it'll show improvement after a year. I have to say, though, drinking 750ml of that along with lots of water still left me feeling icky in the morning. Cheers Ed! :mug:

I have been reading a lot about sulfur in afpelwein. Is this harmful and are there any additives that can be used to remove it.

When yeast are stressed, especially when there is a lack of nitrogen in the must/wort (as with apple juice and sugar only as a fermentable) they generate Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S). This is transient and when it occurs during active fermentation the volatile H2S is blown out the airlock/blowoff along with the CO2. By the end of fermentation, very little remains. There is no sulfur taste in the finished product. Adding Yeast nutrient to the mix cuts down on this by providing nitrogen and other nutrients to the yeast.

Small amounts of Sulfites are a natural byproduct of fermentation and even wines with no ADDED sulfites might contain some. Small quantities and generally harmless unless one is ultra sensitive.

I suppose I should go ahead and post on this thread being that I finally joined the Apfelwien club, although I've only read the first hundred or so posts...

I've put together two batches so far, the second is still in the primary from early December which I plan to bottle, the first one was started in November which I have since kegged after 5 weeks in primary, 3 days with gelatin, and sweetened with one thawed can of frozen AJ concentrate. My keezer is at 35 degrees and has polished this stuff to a brilliant finish after a month with no sign of further fermentation (I didn't add any yeast killer).

On the second batch I will not sweeten... I don't think it is necessary... I had bottled a few pints of the first batch without back-sweetening and I like them better now after a month... I was hard-headed and had to try it for myself, but now I know Ed was right.

Here's an update on mine...5 days in, I took an SG reading yesterday (since I forgot to take an OG)...my organic batch is currently fermenting around 67, started at 62 and had a gravity of 1.050. That yeast has lots of work to do!

Patience, Gabe...Patience!

So I've scoured this thread somewhat throughly (about a hundred pages), and I've come across a few differing viewpoints on bottle carbing, and the methods used to do so. Some have argued against it entirely, saying that it's better still; others have advised that kegging is the only way to do it right, and some have said that priming with corn sugar hasn't really done much in terms of making it bubbly, while others have reported champagne-like effervescence. Now, there are wildly differing approaches involved here, but I can't seem to garner a clear answer on how much priming sugar is needed for a 5 gallon batch. I'm not looking for Dom Perignon, I just want a decent head when I pour a glass.

I guess my question is this: For those of you who have had success bottle carbing, how much sugar do you guys use, and in what proportion with water to dissolve? Could a higher dilution with water take longer to carb? Also, I've heard varying measurements, ranging from 1/2 to 2/3 cup (similar to beer), but what would happen if I were to rack onto a cup of corn sugar dissolved in water? Two cups? Are we talking bottle bombs here?

I do 1 cup of water with 3/4 cup of corn sugar. It took about 3 months to carb, but that was because most of the yeast settled. Try giving it a stir (kick up some sediment) before you bottle and it should go faster. Don't worry it will clear if you refrigerate it for 2 days before drinking and after carbing.

I bottle carbed with TWO cups of corn sugar - loosely measured and dissolved in 4 cups of water.

Let me tell you something - WHOA! This was awesome. The apfelwein was definitely at champagne effervescence which was devoured by my guests at both Christmas and New years (I bottled on 12/5/09).

In my opinion, the more carbonation you get, the better. For one thing, once the apfelwein is opened and poured, you loose a bit of the carbonation after the first few sips. Having a high carb level to begin with really gives the bubbles some staying power.

This was the the beverage of choice of those who were lukewarm on beer and leaning toward wine. Unfortunately, it made at least one friend sick after engorging herself on several bottles (pop-top EZ bottles are great for this).

Liquid pantie remover = yes. Just make sure she doesn't drink TOO much. ;)

Next batch is definitely ready to bottle - has been in the carboy since 11/21/2009.

So I've scoured this thread somewhat throughly (about a hundred pages), and I've come across a few differing viewpoints on bottle carbing, and the methods used to do so. Some have argued against it entirely, saying that it's better still; others have advised that kegging is the only way to do it right, and some have said that priming with corn sugar hasn't really done much in terms of making it bubbly, while others have reported champagne-like effervescence. Now, there are wildly differing approaches involved here, but I can't seem to garner a clear answer on how much priming sugar is needed for a 5 gallon batch. I'm not looking for Dom Perignon, I just want a decent head when I pour a glass.

I guess my question is this: For those of you who have had success bottle carbing, how much sugar do you guys use, and in what proportion with water to dissolve? Could a higher dilution with water take longer to carb? Also, I've heard varying measurements, ranging from 1/2 to 2/3 cup (similar to beer), but what would happen if I were to rack onto a cup of corn sugar dissolved in water? Two cups? Are we talking bottle bombs here?

I would go with the standard 3/4 oz for priming. I used carb drops and added 2 times the amount needed. After 2 months in bottle this stuff was overly carbed. I still have 1 bottle left from that batch and when i pour it in a glass it takes about 5 minutes for the foam to die back down.

The longer this stuff ages the more carbination it picks up.

Prime like beer, but wait 3 times as long for it to finish carbing (and it likely will continue, slowly, for a while after that).

Having purchased a nice little kitchen scale, I don't carb by volume of sugar. I think there is sufficient variation in this method, it is useless to talk about 3/4 cup vs. 1 cup etc..

I follow the general rule of 1 oz (by weight) dextrose per gallon of brew.

I've used the TastyBrew Priming Sugar calculator to validate my calculations. Generally, I seem to over carb slightly compared to the calculator, but it generally comes out just where I want it.

For instance, using the calculator above, for a mid range carbing of a 'standard' cider, at 2.25 volumes of CO2 assuming 65 degrees at priming, you would need 3.6 oz of dextrose per 5 gallons. Since I prefer a higher rate, I usually plug in 2.7-2.8 volumes which lands pretty much right on the 1 oz/gal mark and still WELL within the 'acceptable' range for Ciders. (and similar to that found in Pale Ales)

I admit that I tend to OVER CARBONATE since you can let a brew sit in the glass and lose bubbles, but it is awfully hard to add them back to the glass/bottle!

Usually boil the sugar in a pint of water, add to the bottling bucket when cool and then siphon the wort/must into the sugar solution for good mixing. I put the bottles in a Rubbermaid tub with a top JUST in case of bottle bombs!

The apfelwien is very forgiving when it comes to priming - I don't really see a need to carefully measure it out like I do with my beers. Myself and my friends like it on the fizzy side so I intentionally over carb it but I've never had a bottle bomb.

The apfelwien is very forgiving when it comes to priming - I don't really see a need to carefully measure it out like I do with my beers. Myself and my friends like it on the fizzy side so I intentionally over carb it but I've never had a bottle bomb.

Might it also depend on the type of yeast you used? I imagine that with either a Montrachet or Cote des Blanc yeast, over-carbing wouldn't be that much of a risk...with other yeasts, however...

My home brew kit arrived today! Tonight I'm buying the juice to make Apfelwein, tomorrow I'm going to try to find another three piece airlock and start my ale (I didn't realize the kit came with one three piece air lock and one s shaped air lock).

Anyone bottled the original recipe of Apfelwein? Would like to carbonate, but is it safe in bottles stored at 55-65 deg?

Got another question...I'll only be able to offer questions til' I learn what I am doing. Complete newbie..

It was easier to buy 6 gallons at Sams due to packaging and I wondered if one packet of yeast will suffice? It states the packet will make 5 gallons, so do I need more?

This stuff must be good to have this many pages...I'll make it through sometime this winter I suppose..

Why not use the S type? I like them.

My instructions say that the S type is for the secondary fermentor and the three piece is for the primary... that's the only reason. Now that I think about it I think someone also said you have to keep an eye on the fluid level in the air lock in the beginning and it looks like the three piece holds more.

You can use them wherever, the s type is just harder to clean in the chance of a blowoff. In fact, with Apfelwein has no chance of blowoff so the s type will work great.

okay... was about to start and realized I don't have any instructions for how to sanitize everything. Should I just pour 1.25 gallons of water into the carboy, then add .25 oz star san into the carboy and mix it around, then pour it into a bucket to sanatize my funnel/cap/air lock?

First batch if finally started. Only one small snag, I overfilled the airlock with vodka. My assumption is that this won't be a problem since apfelwein won't blowoff, but I thought I'd check ;)

It is only a problem if there is suckback. Just watch temp changes. or use a paper towel to soak up some of the excess.

Back