Man dies when police find home brewing operation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

insanim8er

Reaction score
Here's a link to a PDF of the newspaper

This is an old clipping from a news paper in 1930

image.jpg

Cool.

The penalty for homebrewing during prohibition was up to a $1000 fine and a year in jail. But the cops generally couldn't get a warrant to search unless they thought you were selling it.

Makes one wonder who knows of any homebrewing operations and if one would continue if prohibition would be reenacted.

Makes one wonder who knows of any homebrewing operations and if one would continue if prohibition would be reenacted.

I know that I, erm, a "friend" of mine, wouldn't stop brewing if prohibition was reinstated. I would just grow my own grain and hops and move my operation to the basement w an electric burner instead of the deck out back. (Cough) I mean, my FRIEND would do that stuff. Not me, I would abide by the law... The stupid stupid law.

I thought you could still make beer cider and wine at home for personal use during prohibition.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using a time machine.

I thought you could still make beer cider and wine at home for personal use during prohibition.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using a time machine.

Wine and cider were treated "more leniently" but not beer, it was illegal till our lord and savior Jimmy Carter free us from our chains (or, put those chains in control of the states anyways).

In 1920, the United States outlawed the manufacture and consumption of alcoholic beverages "for beverage purposes." As a result of Prohibition, breweries, vineyards, and distilleries across the United States were closed down or placed into service making malt for non-alcoholic purposes. During prohibition, home wine-making was treated more leniently as the result of a 1920 IRS ruling that loosened standards for allowable alcohol content for wine and cider but not for beer.[citation needed] Homebrewing of beer having an alcohol content higher than 0.5% remained illegal until 1978 when Congress passed a bill repealing Federal restrictions and excise taxes on the homebrewing of small amounts of beer and wine.[3] Jimmy Carter, 39th President of the United States, signed the bill, H.R. 1337, into law in October 1978;[6] however, the bill left individual states free to pass their own laws limiting production.

Latest posts

Back