Malty vs. Hoppy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tayclem

Reaction score
No matter how hard I try, I just can't come around to beers heavy on malt flavor. Especially after doing my own brewing.

I recently went to a friend's house, and all he had was a few bottles of Budweiser in his fridge. Not wanting to seem rude, I took the one he offered and drank it...but I didn't like it.

It seemed so watery and one dimensional. Plus, I think that malt-focused beers taste like raw bread dough.

I used to think that ALL beer was like that, until I had a Lake Erie Monster by GLBC. I was instantly hooked. I love the bitterness and the floral/citrus notes that hops lend to beer.

What about you guys? Do you prefer malt or hop heavy?

I love them hoppy personally I just do not like malty beer. Lake Erie Monster is pretty darn tasty

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since this is an opinion, and you asked for it, here's mine.

I can not say that I prefer a malt or hop forward beer. I would rather grab one or the other, knowing what it is, and enjoy it for what it is. If I'm having an IPA. I want to enjoy the hops and try to really taste what the brewer did in order to get the flavor profile that I'm tasting. I want to drink it and guess the hops they used without knowing what the actual recipe is, then think about why I do or don't like the beer. If I were to brew this style how would I go about getting that flavor.

Its the same with a malt forward beer. When I buy it, I know what I am getting into. Sometimes I am so surprised. Either way I want to enjoy the beer for what it is.

I enjoy both.

As far as the big three are concerned, I do have a great respect for what they are. Many would consider their beer to be flavorless and uninteresting. What I respect though is their commitment to producing a repeatable product. With all due respect they do produce lagers, and once and a great while I will buy some good ol' Bud or Coors. I even like them for what they are.

Every now and then I have a beer and while drinking it I'm thinking "What the hell is this?" I have had plenty of beer that I didn't like. Its not the style though. Its just how it was brewed.

I like a balanced malt to bitterness but prefer more maltiness. I don't think malt tastes like bread unless it is a true wheat beer. I agree that "light" beer does not have a place for the beer culture but an american lager style bud,coors, I am enjoying a PBR now does have its place. Somedays the 2 row malt really comes thru with the pabst, not sure its my senses or the batch. Either way I respect all styles. I prefer a barleywine over a IPA any day.

imo, if you are looking for a good malt forward beer, search for a good version of a Helles or a scotch ale. Butweiser has too many adjuncts, imo, to really be considered a "malt forward" beer. It's obviously not hop forward, but Budweiser is not a good example of a malty beer. It's just yellow fizzy beer. Again, imo.

I used to prefer a nice malty beer that you had to chew your way through.

Through brewing, I discovered that it wasn't hoppy beers that I didn't like. It was specific hops I didn't like. And I don't even dislike those hops all of the time.

I also discovered that I like dry beers. I made a bone dry saison that was really good.

To me, Budweiser tastes like the water left from boiling corn on the cob. That's not really malty.

I am not too big on malty beers either. I haven't made one I liked yet but I have had some malty commercial beers that I thought were okay. My friends all seem to love them though so I usually keep a few brewed and bottled for when they are over.

While I love hoppy beers, I do enjoy a good malty beer as well.

I've never heard anybody call Budweiser "malty" before, though! It's definitely not malty in the least. It's not hoppy either. It's an adjunct-laden beer, a light lager.

A few of my favorite malty beers are Rogue Dead Guy, various bocks and dopplebocks, and Old Chub (by Oskar Blues). They may have a bit of a bready note to them to some tastes I guess, but I pick up malt richness and not a raw bread flavor or aroma at all.

While I love hoppy beers, I do enjoy a good malty beer as well.

I've never heard anybody call Budweiser "malty" before, though! It's definitely not malty in the least. It's not hoppy either. It's an adjunct-laden beer, a light lager.

A few of my favorite malty beers are Rogue Dead Guy, various bocks and dopplebocks, and Old Chub (by Oskar Blues). They may have a bit of a bready note to them to some tastes I guess, but I pick up malt richness and not a raw bread flavor or aroma at all.

I agree with this. I only ever really taste corn or rice in BMC.

You asked for opinions so here is mine lol.

Bud ? malty ? not at all, its watery yes.

I love malt forward and flavorful beers.

Can't stand IPA's.

Cheers :mug:

It's very difficult for me to drink a Budweiser. I just can't bring myself to ever drink a Bud Light. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I had one.

As far as hoppy vs malty... I like them both, but I tend to lean more to the malty or balanced side of beer. Early last year I went through a phase where I was brewing pale ales only, all leaning toward the hoppy side. I drank a Scotch Ale brewed by a local home brewer, and at that point I started brewing more malty beers. Just like the flavor of a higher ABV beer leaning more toward the malty side.

Given all of that... I'd say 50% of the beer that I drink is pretty well balanced. 30% malty, and 20% hoppy. Most are enjoyable. For me it's hard to find a craft beer, home brewed beer, or import that I don't like. I just stay away from the big 3.

as much as I love IPA's...especially the Green Flash & Stone varieties, I still love the occasional 30 pack of Miller Lite. That throwback can is freakin awesome.

I would never call Bud Malty, even in the OP the guy called it watery and thin. I consider malty beer something a lot more body and the malt hits you up front, like a good Marzen or a Bock.
Bud is a well balanced beer, it has not hops and no malt, comes on like water and finishes like a bowl of H2O.
It is truely amazing how much utilization the brewers at Bud get out of that hop pellet they bought in 1962.

I love both malty and hoppy beers. I think they both have a time and place but I do tend to drink hoppy IPAs the most. But I do love some good malty Stouts and Barlywines in the cold.

I love both malty and hoppy beers. I think they both have a time and place but I do tend to drink hoppy IPAs the most. But I do love some good malty Stouts and Barlywines in the cold.

Same hear. And all beer have a time and place. I love IPAs when I'm hanging out or playing disc golf. I will usually have a stout or other malty beer with dinner depending on what I am having. Oat stouts are very good with red meat, mainly elk meat. I usually put 200-400 lbs of elk in my freezer every fall, therefor eat a lot of elk meat, therefore drink a lot of oat stouts, therefore brew a lot of oat stouts. Aaa the circle of life :) I like a good wheat beer for fishing and wakeboarding, as well as lighter pale ales. All 4 of those usually happen in he same day. I like every style of beer, but not all beers. For a light commercial lager, I love a full sail session with a slice of lime in it.

I love a balanced beer - when they go to extreme either way I don't really care for them. If I had to chose between malty or hoppy for an extreme, I'd go malty.

I personally don't care for the face-melting hop fad that's raging with IIPA's right now, and would much prefer a solid Wee Heavy.

Back