malts and ph

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termtermman

Reaction score
So I've read thru my copy of "how to brew" by Palmer several times, searched the database here and online. Everyone says that toasted/roasted malts have higher acidity which will lower ph. my question is this: is there any data available on commonly used malts that would allow you to calculate how much of a particular malt added to a mash would result in say a .1 reduction in ph? I realize that there are many other ways to adjust mash ph, but if you could do it with malt and not drastically affect your flavor profile I'd sure give it a try.

This doesn't answer your question directly, but Palmer provides a Residual Alkalinity spreadsheet. Go to http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-3.html and it is at the bottom of the page. -TH- provides a similar calculator https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ez-water-adjustment-spreadsheet-135095/
These both use the color of the malt to estimate the required hardness and residual alkalinity, and combined with a water analysis, give good insight into the treatment required for your water. I doubt these spreadsheets are completely accurate, but they will certainly get you very close.

-a.

well ajf, your right. It doesn't exactly answer the question but does clearly help determine chemical additions for water balance needed. As for Ez water i have to wait until i get my water specimen tested. I'm on my own well and only know that the ph is 7.4 right now.

thanks for the link lamarguy, the article i briefed over seems to contain alot of info helpful in determining malt amounts for my water ph. I just have to go over it more in detail to make sure i got the info down. If i get the energy(and the time) maybe i'll conduct a few experiments with different malts to see how they affect the ph balance.

From what I understood reading most sources, the mineral content actually helps extracting colors (less minerals, less color extraction).

It may be empirical data, but the water from Pilz is extremely low in all minerals, making it great for light colored beers.

Back