maltodextrin vs lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardysf

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale with some chocolate and brown sugar to boost the OG. I got the OG up to where I wanted at 1.07 and pitched some Us-04 yeast. I have used this yeast before and it usually finishes at 1.014-1.018. I think it crushed the brown sugar as it finished off at 1.006.

I am thinking it is going to be too thin and boozy so did some research on adding body.

Should I use maltodextrin or lactose? Will both do the same thing, but no flavor impact from malto?

Can I just add this on bottling day and make sure to stir it well? That way I can see if any extras need anyways.

Any other ideas? thanks!

When making a sweet stout, I've used both and like the lactose better - the mouthfeel seems fuller to me.

You may add either at bottling, but I'd be concerned about sanitation, so might boil it in a small amount of water. But I've never done that, I've always added lactose towards the end of the boil.

maltodextrin is like 50% fermentable or so. it will add body and a bit of sweetness. Lactose is 100% unfermentable and will add a great deal of sweetness to the final beer

maltodextrin is like 50% fermentable or so. it will add body and a bit of sweetness. Lactose is 100% unfermentable and will add a great deal of sweetness to the final beer

I thought Maltodextrine was mostly unfermentable, maybe 3% fermentable or something small.

Back