MaltoDextrin in Russian Imperial Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffy5018

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, my thermometer failed me. My mash of 155F was actually 147F due to it being literally banged out of calibration (my 2 year old son found it while I was preparing grains and water salts. My wife saw him using it like a hammer on the garage floor and didn't bother to tell me til after the brew 😒).

Any way, my 3.5 gallon batch of RIS that had a SG of 1.096 was supposed to finish around 1.024. She's sitting at 1.016 right now...

If I were to inject some boiled and cooled maltodextrin (say 12 oz to get back up to about 1.024) in the conditioning keg before racking from the primary over in 3 weeks (after my 4 week primary), would that help the fact that now it's drinking more like a dry stout vs an Imperial stout? I've never used maltodextrin, so I'm not sure exactly what I should do.

Any insight? Is that too much for 3gallons or so finished? Will it even get me closer to where I wanted to be?

Last edited:
Yes you can do that. I’d figure you’d need a 1-1.15 lbs to get you there

Basically you want to add some mouthfeel and perhaps some sweetness so I would make it an imperial milk stout and add a lb or two of lactose. :mug:

Back