Malto Dextrine and SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justin8425

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch of Sierra Nevada Style Pale Ale and the recipe called for 1/2 lb of malto dextrine (10 gallon batch). When completed, my OG was 1.065. As only a small amount of the malto dextrine is converted, will that affect my OG? I was shooting for 1.050 or so. Will the addition or subtraction of the malto change the OG and the FG?
:ban:

you are speaking about conversion, did you put the malto dextrin in a mash?

Malto dextrin is water soluble and generally added to the boil. Like any other water soluble substance that you add it will affect your OG (original gravity). Since it will make your wort less fermentable it will raise the expected FG.

Kai

0.5 lb of malto dextrose should have increased your original extract by about 0.6 Plato. This is about 2.5 gravity points (SG + 0.00025). Not enough to make up for your 15 point difference. At this point you will have to post the recipe.

Kai

homebrewer_99 said:
Malto Dextrine is not fermentable and should have no effect on your gravity. ;)

Everything thats water soluble will affect the gravity since it raises the specific weight of the solution.

Take the gravity of salt water for example. It's more than 1.000 and not fermentable.

Kai

Kaiser said:
Everything thats water soluble will affect the gravity since it raises the specific weight of the solution.

Take the gravity of salt water for example. It's more than 1.000 and not fermentable.

Kai
That sounds reasonable, but I don't recall ever reading anything about it affecting gravity, thus the basis for my comment. :D I certainly do not mind being corrected if I am wrong. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
I certainly do not mind being corrected if I am wrong. ;)

Sorry about the "K-3" rating, but it was a credible source near the top of the hits page.

IIRC freshwater is 32 pounds per cubic foot, seawater is 33.6 pounds per cubic foot. Or something similar, they are close but not the same.

homebrewer_99 said:
That sounds reasonable, but I don't recall ever reading anything about it affecting gravity, thus the basis for my comment. :D I certainly do not mind being corrected if I am wrong. ;)

When we measure the wort with a hydrometer we measure its specific weight. And because we know the general composition of wort (sugars, proteins, dextrines and so on) we can actually correlate this specific gravity reading to extract content of the wort. That's actually what the Plato., Brix and extract % scales are about. Generally the addition of maltodextrin is to little to make a significant impact on the gravity of the wort. I guess that's why you never read about it.

Kai

Kaiser said:
When we measure the wort with a hydrometer we measure its specific weight. And because we know the general composition of wort (sugars, proteins, dextrines and so on) we can actually correlate this specific gravity reading to extract content of the wort. That's actually what the Plato., Brix and extract % scales are about. Generally the addition of maltodextrin is to little to make a significant impact on the gravity of the wort. I guess that's why you never read about it.

Kai
So, basically it comes down to such a miniscule amount that my comment is at least 51% true then, huh? :D

Back