Malting/beer recipie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikEH86

Reaction score
Happy Friday, its the weekend :mug:

I have decided to try and malt some barley, why? I work at a feed mill and we have barley, corn, and wheat come in and we test all the grain that comes in, after about a weeks time this can accumulate to about 5-10 pounds of grain, (that we just throw out) depending on what grain. so I thought to giver a try worst that happens is it molds or something and i throw it in the compost no huge lose.

I'm at the drying stag all the rootlets are about 1/2 to same size as the seed ( didn't think i would get this far first try) I forgot to keep track of the moisture oh well.. no idea what i should kiln the barley to its been drying for almost 24 hours (with a fan) pale or Pilsner maybe? will upload some pics off the phone in a later post

question, does anyone know of a good recipe i can try that is very basic and will give a good taste of the barley. is single malt recipe a thing? or will it be off putting maybe 1 or 2 ingredients.

Thanks

Single malt recipes are a thing-SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop). How much grain would depend on your intended batch size. For a 5 gallon batch, use 10 lbs of malt. To make a Pilsener-like Ale or a Blonde Ale use a Noble hop like Saaz. Mash for an hour at 150ish degrees and sparge for enough volume into the boil kettle to account for your boiloff. 6.5 gal, or so, would work if you don’t boil too vigorously.

Add an oz of hops at the beginning of the boil, a half ounce with about 20 min left in the boil and another half oz with 5 minutes left. Use a fairly neutral flavored yeast like US-05 or Nottingham.

All of the above assumes you’re at least somewhat familiar with all grain brewing. A little more info regarding your equipment and experience level wouldn’t hurt. And, there’s no shortage of advice here, including a few folks who have experience with home malting.

hmmm, in my experience with malting...the rootlets vary, you should pay attention to the acrospires...you want most a little longer then the kernel.

if you want something flavorful and easy you're first batch, just throw the dry/firm kernels in a low oven (170f, actually i tested mine and it was actually reading 200f) and kiln for 12 hours at that, makes a nice dark munich beer....hops are your choice

and deculming? just pass the grain back and forth in front of fan bucket to bucket, until the rootlets aren't flying off anymore....

and i get 20lb's malt from 23lb's 6-row feed barley

This is my first pic upload so bare with me.

1. Dry barley before anything is done.
2. 4th wash.
3. Just starting to chit.
4. Rootlets.
5. 8 to 12 hours before starting to dry
6. My redneck cheapo drying systems part1
7. Rednecked drying system part 2

Will answer above questions soon.
IMG_20200305_195056.jpg
IMG_20200306_224541.jpg
IMG_20200310_145530.jpg
IMG_20200312_050240.jpg
IMG_20200312_154840.jpg
IMG_20200312_172824.jpg
IMG_20200312_181309.jpg

Single malt recipes are a thing-SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop). How much grain would depend on your intended batch size. For a 5 gallon batch, use 10 lbs of malt. To make a Pilsener-like Ale or a Blonde Ale use a Noble hop like Saaz. Mash for an hour at 150ish degrees and sparge for enough volume into the boil kettle to account for your boiloff. 6.5 gal, or so, would work if you don’t boil too vigorously.

Add an oz of hops at the beginning of the boil, a half ounce with about 20 min left in the boil and another half oz with 5 minutes left. Use a fairly neutral flavored yeast like US-05 or Nottingham.

All of the above assumes you’re at least somewhat familiar with all-grain brewing. A little more info regarding your equipment and experience level wouldn’t hurt. And, there’s no shortage of advice here, including a few folks who have experience with home malting.

As I am very new at this I was aiming for just a gallon batch I can not do a 5gallon batch, I don't have enough barely for that at the time and am eager to try this out.

My experience level is never done an all-grain brew but have watched a few videos on YouTube. My equipment is not great but should work lol as you can see from my malting pics.

I am still pretty new to home brewing I only started about a year ago converting juice to wine and a couple wine kits. I have a beer kit im going to do this weekend. Still learning and the phrases as I did not know about SMaSH.

Thanks for the info!

hmmm, in my experience with malting...the rootlets vary, you should pay attention to the acrospires...you want most a little longer then the kernel.

if you want something flavorful and easy you're first batch, just throw the dry/firm kernels in a low oven (170f, actually i tested mine and it was actually reading 200f) and kiln for 12 hours at that, makes a nice dark munich beer....hops are your choice

and deculming? just pass the grain back and forth in front of fan bucket to bucket, until the rootlets aren't flying off anymore....

and i get 20lb's malt from 23lb's 6-row feed barley

Cool, I have the grain in the oven now for about 6 hours at 175 ( lowest the oven goes) have another 6 to go.( wife is not crazy about this stag lmao) I have been tasting the barley as I go. It's amazing how it transforms. It's currently crunchy and sweet, I could almost eat it as-is lol. I have done some reading and seen some videos from "brewing the hard way" the kernel's starch would smear easily before I started drying.

What's your preferred hops? What would be the outcome if I were to not use hops is it gross? Or, what about yeasts?

Kinda want to try, this is what it's like just barely, this is what it's like with hops, more malt/differnt hops or yeast.. Start at bare bottom kinda thing.

I will invest in a sweater dryer soon just needed something real cheap for now. Lol

Thanks!

Kinda want to try, this is what it's like just barely, this is what it's like with hops, more malt/differnt hops or yeast.. Start at bare bottom kinda thing.

i just use whatever hops are cheap as a preservative, to keep it from going sour on me......dito for yeast, whatever's fast and cheap, repitch it for years, lol, trying to make my own kviek strain i guess...

I am still pretty new to home brewing I only started about a year ago converting juice to wine and a couple wine kits. I have a beer kit im going to do this weekend. Still learning and the phrases as I did not know about SMaSH.
Thanks for the info!
For a gallon, use 2 lbs of malt and a half ounce of hops at the beginning and a quarter ounce with 10 minutes left in the boil.

For a small batch I’d do BIAB (brew in a bag). There’s a BIAB forum on this board and tons of info elsewhere on the web. That’s probably the easiest way to do small batch brewing with very little specialized equipment.

Good luck!

Back