Malt pipe ideas....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrox

Reaction score
I'm planning a 1v system based on a 40L urn ~10 gal in US measures. The urn is commonly used in BIAB applications and the boil dry safety is set higher as the manufacturer knows of the issue gor brewers.

I planned to use 19L ~ 5 gal Stainless stack pot as a malt pipe. It is a cheap pot with a thin bottom available for $20 at a our Walmart equivalent. I want to cut out the bottom and use a false bottom. Pump back to the top type recirculation. Think grainfather knock off.

I had thought about putting in an overflow pipe that would allow wort to run down to the urn much like the grainfather overflow. I could do this incorporating another false bottom/splatter guard type arrangement on the top to stop grain escaping into the wort.

Or

What about putting a 12" bazooka screen through the hole in the false bottom with no top screen? Or perhaps a 6" stainless riser with a 6" bazooka screen screwed into it. No need for a top screen.

Thoughts?

That is the kind of screen I would use if going down that path.

Just weighing up if a bazooka screen on an overflow pipe would achieve the same thing or not. Would there be grain floating everywhere and the screen get clogged and restrict flow until the pot overflows from the side?

My plan is to use a top and a bottom screen. The lower one has a hole in the center, and the upper one has a tube in the center that projects downward through a grommet in a hole in the bottom of the pot. The wort inlet from the pump would be off center under the lower screen. The wort / strike water, would pump through the inlet under the lower screen, up through the lower screen and through the grain bed and then through the upper screen. It would then drain through the tube. This allows you to adjust your upper screen height based on the amount of grain you are using.

H.W.

I'm planning a 1v system based on a 40L urn ~10 gal in US measures. The urn is commonly used in BIAB applications and the boil dry safety is set higher as the manufacturer knows of the issue gor brewers.

I planned to use 19L ~ 5 gal Stainless stack pot as a malt pipe. It is a cheap pot with a thin bottom available for $20 at a our Walmart equivalent. I want to cut out the bottom and use a false bottom. Pump back to the top type recirculation. Think grainfather knock off.

I had thought about putting in an overflow pipe that would allow wort to run down to the urn much like the grainfather overflow. I could do this incorporating another false bottom/splatter guard type arrangement on the top to stop grain escaping into the wort.

Or

What about putting a 12" bazooka screen through the hole in the false bottom with no top screen? Or perhaps a 6" stainless riser with a 6" bazooka screen screwed into it. No need for a top screen.

Thoughts?

Mine works the same way as the GF the çentre tube is telescopic.

Aamcle

I've no idea, I think the top screen is to hold the bits down.

I did the 1st run on my GF type today it worked well, like the GF I have screens top n bottom with a centre overflow.

Atb. Same

That is a good job with the screens.

Did you cut the bottom completely out of the pot?

It's not a pot, I was able to get a piece of Stainless flue pipe.

I'm not sure which way I go with a pot.

Atb. Aamcle

It's not a pot, I was able to get a piece of Stainless flue pipe.

I'm not sure which way I go with a pot.

Atb. Aamcle

Ok. Cool.

I'm definitely thinking of cutting the bottom out of the pot due to the cheap thin construction. I think it will be a more effective mash bucket this way.

Ok. Cool.

I'm definitely thinking of cutting the bottom out of the pot due to the cheap thin construction. I think it will be a more effective mash bucket this way.

Just a thought.
If you cut the bottom out, you could leave an edge (3/8"-1/2" ish) all around. Meaning, if your pot is 8" in diameter. Cut a 7" hole out of the bottom. That would give you a place (a lip) for a piece of perforated sheet material to rest on. No welding, easy cleaning.

If you still want a bottom up flow you may as well make a BM Clone its been done many times there is a huge thread on the Aussie forum.

Atb. Aamcle

If you still want a bottom up flow you may as well make a BM Clone its been done many times there is a huge thread on the Aussie forum.

Atb. Aamcle

Didn't he say he wanted a top down flow, to be like a grain father knockoff?

Edit:
Are you speaking to owley055?

Just a thought.
If you cut the bottom out, you could leave an edge (3/8"-1/2" ish) all around. Meaning, if your pot is 8" in diameter. Cut a 7" hole out of the bottom. That would give you a place (a lip) for a piece of perforated sheet material to rest on. No welding, easy cleaning.

That is the plan. I think I'm going to attach the screen upside down attached to the lip to in effect have a concave bottom. 4 Stainless nuts and bolts with appropriate washers should do.

I have seen pics of set up with a bazooka screen overflow so there is proof of concept.

I think I'll try this 1st.

any progress on this? I was thinking of making a tall narrow mash tun with some stainless steel 9inch flue pipe. They sell caps that slip over one end and I was thinking of silver-soldering it on. BAM! instant mash pipe, punch holes for fittings as needed.

any progress on this? I was thinking of making a tall narrow mash tun with some stainless steel 9inch flue pipe. They sell caps that slip over one end and I was thinking of silver-soldering it on. BAM! instant mash pipe, punch holes for fittings as needed.

I use a 7.5 gallon sanke for a mash tun. I like it the best out of all the tuns I've had over the years. I can put a tape on it for you if you'd like, but I think it's close to the 9" diameter.

My wife surprised me with a Grainfather. Project on hold indefinitely.

Back