Malt Detective: unknown coffee malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opiate42

Reaction score
Cotacachi, Ecuador (formerly Toronto, Canada)
Hey folks!

I have a malt here, creamy brown colour and has a delicious espresso flavour to it. End result in the beer is a wonderful smooth flavour and mouth feel. Only have about 100g left and afraid to use it before I figure out what it really is.

Got it from a friend but they don't remember which exact malt it is. Have tried Weyermann Carafa 1/2/3 and all of them are roasted too dark. Also tried Patagonia Coffee which is kinda close in flavour and colour (though a bit darker in colour) but no where near as smooth in the finished beer.

Haven't tried Carafa Special 1/2/3 yet, could it be one of those? Any other possibilities? The HBS in the area only sells Weyermann and Patagonia malts. So guessing it's a Weyermann of some kind.

Thanks for any insight gang!
img_20181111_185314844__1_.jpg

Haven't tried Carafa Special 1/2/3 yet, could it be one of those? Any other possibilities? The HBS in the area only sells Weyermann and Patagonia malts. So guessing it's a Weyermann of some kind.
View attachment 598216

Nope. Carafa Special is de-husked, yours isn't. If it's a Weyermann a good guess could be CaraAroma.

Yeah looks like caraaroma or something else under 200 lovibond.

I concur.

Looks glassy so it’s some kind of crystal, not a roasted malt.

Looks just like the CaraAroma I just had. But it also looks similar to some darker English crystal malts I have.

You may never really be able to figure it out and so you’ll end up having to brew a ton of batches to figure it out. Enjoy.

Ok so time for some followup!

It is NOT Cararoma.

Picked some up a while back and it's grain colour is close but munching the malt the flavour is not like chewing espresso beans like my stuff. Whipped up my brew with it, colour is lighter and flavour is smooth but coffee is absent. Definitely not the same malt but am still enjoying cararoma as is. Might keep a bit of it in the recipe for giggles.

Will keep hunting, am thinking of trying Carafa Special 1 next which I've heard is also de-husked and has more espresso flavour to it.

Appreciate the suggestions and any other possibilities it might be would love to hear it, am enjoying experimenting with my recipe :D

Back