Malt Bill for NEIPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigz4ch

Reaction score
I've been using nothing but flaked oats and 2 row for my NEIPAs lately, as I wanted to start out simple and then expand. What do most people use for their malt bill in a tropical juice?

What is the real difference in using pilsner or maris otter as opposed to 2-row? And how common is wheat used, as I know it helps out with the haze factor but really isn't needed for it.

Suggestions and opinions? Sorry, I'm new to this and have so many questions hah

You can use any base malt, pilsner 2 row, etc.

Flaked grains (Oats, Wheat, Barley) are usually used anywhere from 5% to 15% of the bill.

Wheat isn't necessary but is used to improve mouthfeel and flavor. Usually used from 10% to 25%.

Is there any difference in using 2-row from Pilsner? Color/taste/body?

I'm about to find out. I just bought a 25 Kg bag of Swaen Pilsner malt, and my next brew session will be spent making an NEIPA from it.

There is a recent experiment on Brulosophy wherein the triangle testers could not statistically distinguish a recipe made with Weyermann's Pilsner malt from the same recipe using Rahr 2-Row.

Is there any difference in using 2-row from Pilsner? Color/taste/body?

YES HUGE! I was doing them with all 2 row and pale malts but the last 2 I have been doing all Pilsner malt with a little flaked wheat and oats tossed in the mix. They are turning out better than all the others I have tried. LOVE that malt for a NEIPA!

Cheers
Jay

Awesome info! I will definitely try using pilsner in the very near future.

As far as specialty malts go..is carapils generally used for some head retention? Or any caramel / crystal? I know someone mentioned they used honey malt, but I've heard mixed reviews saying that it can add to much sweetness?

Awesome info! I will definitely try using pilsner in the very near future.

As far as specialty malts go..is carapils generally used for some head retention? Or any caramel / crystal? I know someone mentioned they used honey malt, but I've heard mixed reviews saying that it can add to much sweetness?

2-3oz. in a 5 gal batch is plenty, any more & it can get cloying

Have one in the fermenter right now with the following grain bill. I’ll let you know how it turns out in a week or two.

6lb American 2-Row
6lb Maris Otter
1lb Crystal 40L
.75lb Carapils
.5lb Flaked barley
.5lb Flaked wheat

That is kinda dark for only Maris Otter? Did you add anything else?

I think lots of people are suggesting they see NEIPAs darken with oxidation, although haze dropping out would also make the beer look darker.

@bigz4ch

For my NEIPAs, I usually do 50-70% base (2-Row, GP, Pilsner, MO)
For the remainder, I typically pick 2-3 of the following: flaked oats, flaked barley, golden naked oats, white wheat, wheat malt
Sometimes I might add in up to 4oz honey malt

I find 2-row to be very neutral for my tastes, which is fine for NEIPAs. Pilsner gives me a slightly lighter color beer than 2-row and it adds a subtle complexity to the malt flavor, almost a crackery flavor. I typically use all 2-row, all Pilsner or a combo of the two for my base.

If I want to boost the ABV, I sometimes add dextrose.

It's interesting that many of the newer commercial recipes from the more interesting breweries seem to be ditching the oats. I'd guess it's over concerns that the lipids in oats drop out hop flavour. I must admit, I don't particularly care for too much wheat or oats, I just find the taste distracting. 5% torrefied wheat for head retention is OK, but I'm not a fan of more.

Worth noting that over on the Tree House thread, they're cloning Julius with just 80% pale malt, 20% Carafoam/Carapils. KISS is usually a good idea.

For me - my "Lucky 7" malt bill does great for a DIPA anyway. 7 lb 2-row, 7 lb Golden Promise, 0.7 lb red wheat.

Back