Making wort like coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sashurlow

Reaction score
Someone please tell me why this is a bad idea...
Would it be possible to keep the grains in a basket and run water/wort through it until you have removed all the sugars? Similar to brewing coffee or a percolated coffee. It seems it would eliminate the need for sparging and possibly save space. It seems that it would be pretty easy to make. A brew kettle, a large wire basket and a pump.
Someone please tell me this is a very bad idea to try!!!
Thanks,

The mash is an enzyme conversion step, which requires contact time. You aren't simply trying to "remove" the sugars -- you are trying to break down starch. What you are describing IS the sparge, not a way of eliminating the need for it.

Certainly many brewers recirculate their mash, but that's not the same thing as just running a one-pass through the grains.

But you are doing it at 170 degrees. Why not do it at 170 degrees AND recirculate it. Recirculate it for 15 minutes and then turn the pump off.
This is why I ask... 800.00 Dollars is BS for a pump and an industrial coffee basket.
https://www.minibrew.io/
FYI... I'm a extract brewer. I'll probably eventually get into all grain, either via BIAB or something nice and small. I tried to find out if this is already done and could not find anything. It sounds like it might be nothing new? The one pass was never in question, just the concept of a more compact way of doing multiple passes.

If you are just trying to extract some color and flavor from crystal malts, then what you're suggesting is OK. But Jordan is correct that it won't work with anything that needs to be mashed.

170 is going to denature enzymes.

Beyond that I don't think I see what you think you're improving or economizing on a normal recirculation setup. Do you plan on using an actual coffee pot or something?

No sparge brewing is a thing.... most would say keep the no sparge batches below 1.050 but still...

Latest posts

Back