Making Videos of My Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Premnasbiaculeatus

Reaction score
So I've been shooting clips along the way during my brew days lately, just to put on instagram or facebook or what have you, just to demonstrate how a typical brew day goes for me. My system makes half barrel batches, but it's made out of a bunch of re-purposed junk; none of which was intended for brewing...

A long time ago I used to make vids for Youtube quite regularly but lately I've been too busy to really sit down and do any kind of editing or post production. The following is just raw clips off my phone stitched together and uploaded... Do you think this is watchable? Would you be interested in subsequent episodes, or is it not worth it? Also, if anyone wants to criticize my process or recommend non-costly Improvements I could make, I'm open to constructive feedback.

Pay attention to the analytics Youtube provides for your channel. How long are viewers watching? What seem to turn them off? What keeps them tuned in longer? Keep doing what they seem to like and stop doing what tunes them out.

I used to make a lot of brewing videos but deleted most of them because they were rubbish. I found that what I needed to do is sit down ahead of brew day/filming day and make a story board or an outline before I began... plus script out key parts. It was apparent after watching with a critical eye that when I was winging it I left out or glossed over key parts that I understood but might not be obvious to the new brewer.

It turned out to be too much bother and was a huge distraction during brew day. It all boiled down to what I wanted to do... be a Youtube channel or make beer. For now I'm choosing to just make beer.

PS. Here is one that I still have up. Although why I don't quite know.

Pay attention to the analytics Youtube provides for your channel. How long are viewers watching? What seem to turn them off? What keeps them tuned in longer? Keep doing what they seem to like and stop doing what tunes them out.

I used to make a lot of brewing videos but deleted most of them because they were rubbish. I found that what I needed to do is sit down ahead of brew day/filming day and make a story board or an outline before I began... plus script out key parts. It was apparent after watching with a critical eye that when I was winging it I left out or glossed over key parts that I understood but might not be obvious to the new brewer.

It turned out to be too much bother and was a huge distraction during brew day. It all boiled down to what I wanted to do... be a Youtube channel or make beer. For now I'm choosing to just make beer.

PS. Here is one that I still have up. Although why I don't quite know.

"Mashing is just soaking the **** out of the grain until the sugars come out... in a nutshell" Lol, Pretty good video! Thanks for posting a reply!

I have about 400,000 views from older videos with about a quarter million being from my most popular video. However, I have no time to invest in making the videos like I used to. Just trying to figure out if something like the preceding is watchable to anyone besides myself. So far it's too early for youtube analytics to tell me much. Just wondering if anyone on HBT can stomach more than 30 seconds without wanting to stab their eyes out?

At work so only skimmed through, but 2 things I picked up on:
- Need to film in landscape rather than portrait
- The pump noise during the mash was a little annoying to listen to after a while

Otherwise content seemed pretty good

Latest posts

Back