Making invert sugar with Starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveotero

Reaction score
Any have a reason why this would be a bad idea? Most recipes simply state boil sucrose with a little water and a splash of lemon juice as an acid. Well my spray bottle of Starsan is closer than the lemon juice :)

What about amount? Is "a couple of squirts" accurate? From what I gather it dosen't need to be very precise.

I'm about to brew the BYO Young's Double Chocolate Stout and it calls for invert sugar. How many of you don't bother with it and just use sucrose. I've never used it before.

Thanks and Cheers!

the acid in the wort will invert the sugar. Just throw it in.

If it's a late addition to the fermenter, go buy some cream of tartar. $.99 will last you forever.

B

That makes perfect since, why didn't I think of that? :)

Better yet, Why would BYO use both dextrose and invert sugar in the boil if they would essentially be the same thing?

Yea, you're right. I meant to type sucrose not dextrose. The recipie called for 8oz of invert sugar and 4oz of table sugar (sucrose) in the boil at 15 min. So by the end of the boil they're essentially the same thing right?

And say it was dextrose that was called for. They're all simple sugars anyway. Do the little yeasties differentiate between simple sugars in any way that changes the outcome, palatable or otherwise?

Back