Making graff with UV pasteurized cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince87x

Reaction score
The first time I followed Brandon O's Graff recipe I used Simply Apple pasteurized apple juice from the store. I live in central Washington and we grow a lot of apples so I figured this time I'd get fresh local apple cider.

It says it was UV treated but still has natural/wild yeasts present as it warns that it can turn into hard cider. I'm curious how I should proceed making graff using this cider. The recipe calls for Nottinham or Safale-05 yeast but won't it have to compete with the yeast already present? I've read people saying that the wild yeasts are hit and miss. I read someone else mentioning using Campden to kill the yeast present then a day later pitch your yeast.

What do you guys suggest doing?

Edit: Looks like I'll buy some campden tablets and use those, then wait 24-48 hrs. Then I'll proceed as normal.
Edit2: After quite a bit of scouring I decided just to leave it alone and still pitch my own yeast without messing with using campden. It was UV treated and my yeast should apparently be more active and overpower any wild yeast present.

Be prepared for some nasty smells from the fermenter. I tried sulfite for my first batch and the smell was alarming. The graff came out fine in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back