Making fermentation buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired some food-safe buckets from my local grocery. They all came with lids and now I want to make fermenter buckets with them. What is the easiest, most effective way to do that? I know I need to make a hole, but which airlock type should I pick?

The buckets appear to be between 2 and 3 gallon buckets (considering using these when I do 2.5g batches).

Hmmm...like just sit the lid on top with out "snapping" it on? I have no idea if they are airtight. I guess I could put lid on and squeeze the sides a little to see if it budges.

Hmmm...like just sit the lid on top with out "snapping" it on? I have no idea if they are airtight. I guess I could put lid on and squeeze the sides a little to see if it budges.
Usually those buckets are not are tight when the lid is completely closed. Therefore the co 2 can escape anyway and no air lock is necessary. However, once I bought a bucket that was actually air tight when closed, fermentation popped the lid of during high kräusen :D

Last edited:
You should be able to order a grommet kit from ebay, or buy the specific size you need for an airlock from Lowes or your local hardware store. Take the airlock you want to use with you to test the fit to the grommet. Most people use the 3 piece style airlocks.

You should be able to order a grommet kit from ebay, or buy the specific size you need for an airlock from Lowes or your local hardware store. Take the airlock you want to use with you to test the fit to the grommet. Most people use the 3 piece style airlocks.
I didn't think about that part. I was thinking of just drilling and putting the plug in with the 3-piece airlock. If it actually is air tight, I will go with this method and use a grommit with the air lock.

Thanks!

My 2 cents: drill a 1-1/4" hole for a small universal stopper like this. That will allow the use of an S-lock if desired, plus if you do a big beer and want to handle serious blow-off you can stuff 1" ID/1-1/4" OD vinyl tubing directly in the drilled hole and never worry about it plugging up...

Cheers!

I just drill a hole in the bucket lid to fit a stopper.......
You can also get food grade 5 gallon buckets at Walmart for about $2.

Latest posts

Back