Making Cider with 8 Different Yeasts - Which Should I Supersize to 5 Gallons?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which four yeasts would you honor with a 5 gallon batch?

• Safcider AB-1 Yeast

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Safcider AC-4 Yeast

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Safcider AS-2 Yeast

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Safcider TF-6 Yeast

• White Labs Beer Yeast English Cider WLP775

• Wyeast 4766 Cider

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mangrove Jack M02 Cider Yeast

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Cider House Select Yeast

• Total voters
How about malolactic fermentation before kegging and stabilizing?

Never say never...but I don't plan to do it even though it would be appropriate for WLP775 and possibly other yeasts.

How long would you guys wait before doing an initial taste test? I get impatient every time I walk past the fermenters.

The longer you wait the better it gets ;)
So soon and without malolactic fermentation it will probably not be very nice.

There's differing opinions on that. Some people taste every time they check gravity. I don't like the taste of yeast, so I wait until primary is finished before taking my first taste. If something went wrong during the fermenting I figure I would have smelled it.

(Yes, I sniff the airlock a lot :) )

How long would you all wait before racking? I know opinions vary about letting cider sit on trub.
[/QUOTE]

I rack at 3-4 weeks if fermentation is done (it is). Then depending on soon you want to drink it, I let it age at room temp in the keg for another two weeks or so. I do add CO2 a few times to make sure the keg stays sealed.

Hi Cogswell, I read this experiment with excitement, can you remember the results from two-years ago? A quick write-up would be highly appreciated! Thanks, Matt

Back