Making Cheap Labels For Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MussBrew

Reaction score
I'm wanting to design a label for some of my brews.... Does anyone with labeling experience know what's the best way to get started? My girlfriend wants to design on paper, but I don't know where I should go from there.... Does anyone know of a place that will replicate bottle labels for cheap? Any suggestions welcome...

Well one way to do it for cheap is to just make color copies on regular white paper and use milk to attach the label to the bottle. Works like a charm, and it doesn't get much cheaper than regular ol' paper. Color copies at somewhere like Kinko's are probably $0.15 to $0.25 per sheet, and you can probably get at least 4 labels on each sheet, depending on the kind of label you want.

I'm using 3 1/3" x 4" labels for my beer. The Avery model is 5164. The staples brand is $24 for 600 labels but I buy an off brand online for $15 including shipping for 600 labels; which is a little over 2 cents a label if i can remember. My labels are all done in black and white and I just load them in an old laser printer i have at home and so far it's worked great. If color labels are your goal then you'll end up paying a pretty penny for them to get printed at a place like kinkos. If you've got access to a color laser printer at work or have a nice friend that would print them at work for you in exchange for a couple 6 packs then the cost is very reasonable and you don't have to worry about the labels falling off when getting wet using the milk method. Cleaning the used labels off bottles are much harder than the milk method for that same reason but the few I've done an oxyclean soak will make them peel right off.

I never get tired of telling people that I use Milk as glue to attach labels that I printed on my Color ink jet printer to the bottles.
I have used the pre-sticky labels. They work great...till it's time to get them off the bottle.

Back