Making Candi Sugar - Eyeballing It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexbrew

Reaction score
I read alot if articles about making candi sugar. Fir the most part you are supposed to keep it between 260 and 275 then raise to 300 at tge end. Noone says why to keep it at the low temp? I just eye balled a pound for 25 min without a thermometer and cranked the heat at tge last min. I sprayed with water a little during but the oriduct looks perfect. Did I get lucky on my first try? What happens if you get too high if heat fir too long? What abkut low temp?

Which Color Candi Sugar are you trying to make? Clear, Amber, or Dark? If you have to high for too long, you'll make burnt Dark Sugar, or you'll make syrup.. The Time you hold each temp will contribute various flavors to the Candi thus the beer. If you stopped right after the Hot break, then you probably got lucky and just made Clearish to slight Amber Candi. Pics? What did you pour your Candi Sugar into?

I stopped right at a very very dark color. Kind of like that 180 syrup color. I poured into a sheet pan w wax paper. Wont do that again, it stuck. I may buy a thermometer and a silicone dish for the next time. It was so easy and quick!

I stopped right at a very very dark color. Kind of like that 180 syrup color. I poured into a sheet pan w wax paper. Wont do that again, it stuck. I may buy a thermometer and a silicone dish for the next time. It was so easy and quick!

Parchment paper did not stick for me. Do get a precise thermometer.

MC

Aluminum pie pans from the grocery are cheap, can be reused a couple times, then cover in foil, fridge to cool off, o****er overnight, then crack with a rubber mallet.

Yes def get a Candi Thermometer, I ruined a nice digital probe thermometer. DOH ! :smack:

Ok, I think I found the answer, most people like I said say to use s thermometer, I was curious as to why as I eyeballed this and it came out perfect. What I suspect is the answer is: at 260-275 degrees is the temp at which the glucose and fructose molucules seperate (formerly sucrose) which would make a much more digestabke food for the yeast. After 20 or so minutes appears to be the time it takes to convert it.

Back