Making Belgium candy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
I made some Belgium candy but forgot to put in the lemon juice for the process.

SO if I didn't put the lemon juice in what did I make?

rock candy

The citric acid is for making invert sugar...though, I wouldn't worry about using your rock candy in a brew until you start passing the 15% of fermentables mark. "Belgian" btw....

DOH! LOL.....

Really made rock candy...

How much lemon juice you use per pound of candy you make?

So use a few drops per pound correct?

Yes got that's the web site I was using...

I was afraid we made a big lump of regular sugar. LOL

a few things...

i always use the citric acid from my LHBS, as lemon juice has other things in it that could possibly burn and produce off flavors

second, DONT use waxed paper- use parchment paper, it has silicone instead of wax on it that won't melt at the high temperatures

i never use a Teflon frying pan- about a certain temp Teflon releases poisonous gases that are really, really bad for you- i use teflon pretty much for eggs only

although adding citric acid definitely helps the process along, just the sugar itself in the water solution produces a slight acididty, and at least a portion (im not sure what portion) of the sugar will usually convert even without the addition of an acid

also, this sugar works great for tripels, but for the darker, sweeter dubbels i would suggest finding real belgian candy syrup

a few things...

i always use the citric acid from my LHBS, as lemon juice has other things in it that could possibly burn and produce off flavors

second, DONT use waxed paper- use parchment paper, it has silicone instead of wax on it that won't melt at the high temperatures

i never use a Teflon frying pan- about a certain temp Teflon releases poisonous gases that are really, really bad for you- i use teflon pretty much for eggs only

although adding citric acid definitely helps the process along, just the sugar itself in the water solution produces a slight acididty, and at least a portion (im not sure what portion) of the sugar will usually convert even without the addition of an acid

also, this sugar works great for tripels, but for the darker, sweeter dubbels i would suggest finding real belgian candy syrup

Can't you just wait a little bit longer 'til it's darker, then use that to make syrup for a dubbel?

Right, that's what I'm saying. And so, do I really have to spend $9 on dark candi syrup, or can I make it myself. I think I can make it myself. Does anyone think otherwise?

I use this same method, using citric acid instead of lemon juice. It's very hard to get it any lighter than amber, and I think it imparts a caramelly taste to the beers I've made with it.

Well, if I am going to use "clear candi sugar" or whatever, i just dump cane sugar in at the end of the boil. Same dif.

y'all realize that these "different methods" are all the same basic thing...??

I do realize that, but I feel that the Wiki method written up by O'flannigan is easier to follow.

Right, that's what I'm saying. And so, do I really have to spend $9 on dark candi syrup, or can I make it myself. I think I can make it myself. Does anyone think otherwise?

I know you can make dark candi sugar, I dont know about making the syrup though. I am sure you could make it.

Well, if I am going to use "clear candi sugar" or whatever, i just dump cane sugar in at the end of the boil. Same dif.

So I could just use reg table sugar at the last 5min of a boil and will get the same results as the Belgium clear candy?

belgian candy syrup isnt used as much for the sugar that is in it as for the impurities

it is the impurities in brown sugar, molasses, and candy syrup that produce the flavors you want- most of the sugars just ferment completely dry and impart little or no flavor

read "Radical Brewing" by Mosher for a run-down on all the different types of semi-refined sugars that can be used for different beers and the flavors they impart

you could probably duplicate a dark belgian candi syrup with homemade invert sugar and some molasses... but be careful, dark molasses can taste like hell if you put too much in your beer

Back