Making a starter with liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewed

Reaction score
According to the the White labs web site, I should be making a starter with my Scottish cider yeast. I do not have any DME, could I use GoFerm? And if so, how much to how how much water? I really want to give this cider the best chance and being something special.

Probably not. GoFerm from what I understand is just a yeast nutrient. It wont make the yeast grow but it will make it healthy. Do you only make cider? Or do you brew beer as well? Have any grains on hand? You could do a mini mash and use the runnings from that as your starter.

Edit: Since you are doing a cider you could probably use sugar as the starter. Correct me if Im wrong but apples dont have maltose (which is the real benefit to making a real wort starter) so you dont need to worry about the yeast being able to ferment maltose. I would see if other people chime in just to make sure, but I think you could make a sugar starter. Or hell, a small apple juice starter

My cider starters are usually just juice, either fresh pressed or FAJC + water. 1/2 gal. in a gallon jug. Cap and shake every 6 hrs. for 24 hours.

Back