Making a starter for Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
So after reading the latest issue of Zymurgy, I'm going to take a stab at using WLP002 English Ale with a 5.5 gallon batch of cider.

I plan on taking a fresh yeast pack of this, and making a 2L starter for 24 - 30 hours. I will then pour this into 4 pint jars, and then put them in the fridge. I will be using this for my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout as well.

So here's my question. I can take a pint jar and decant 90% of the beer off it. Would you then make a starter with 1.040 - 1.045 Apple Juice for 18 hours before pitching it? Or do it the normal way with DME?

Or do a 1.5L starter with the apple juice, put it in the fridge overnight, then decant that an pitch it?

I think the DME's impact on the cider would be negligible since it's being decanted and going into 5.5 gallons. If it were me I would go with the DME method because the purpose of a starter is creating more, healthy yeast. Unsurprisingly, ale yeasts likes DME better than apple juice.

With that said, if you wanted to keep it "pure" your apple juice starter method would be fine. I would add some nutrient to the starter (along with the full batch - in either case) if you're going that way though.

I'll probably just do DME then, and then decant it before pitching. Cheers.

Up.
I'm planning to use WLP002 into a cider also.
I need to increase the yeast cell number so I need to make a starter.

I guess, using DME could do the job but isn't it beter to grow the yeast in the same product that the one it will ferment at the end?

Anyway, if I decide to go with apple juice around 1040 SG, I definitly need to add nutriments what would be better?
- Diammunium phosphate (Vita drive F3)
- Dead yeast cells (Lallemand Opti-White)
- thiaminium dichlorhydrat (Vitamon B)

Cheers

It's always recommended to use whatever sugar is in the must for the starter, so yes apple juice. I don't think an extra 10 points above 1.040 matters, so straight undiluted juice is fine. Apples have some of the minerals and vitamins that yeast need so just DAP works well. I typically use 1 gm per gallon. Generic wine nutrient works well too.

FWIW, I've never needed a starter with cider (5-6 gallon batches). I follow the protocol specified by the yeast - rehydrated for some, just sprinkled on top for others. My ciders always start around 1.050, so YMMV.

Back