Making a saison with amarillo should I add at flame out or dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desabat

Reaction score
So its not a true to style saison but after tasting tank 7 which seemed like a pretty hoppy saison i would like to replicate something similar.

Has anyone done something similar who can give me some tips ?

So its not a true to style saison but after tasting tank 7 which seemed like a pretty hoppy saison i would like to replicate something similar.

Has anyone done something similar who can give me some tips ?

I've done a lot of amarillo saisons. Definitely do both, you'll have great results. Especially if you use 3711 and ferment at around 75-78. That yeast becomes very citrusy in that range and will contribute to the citrus flavors and aromas from the amarillo. Just don't forget a blowoff, that yeast goes buck wild!!

Be careful using too much finishing hops with a saison yeast. I have used one that completely scrubbed all the hop flavor and aroma out during fermentation (dry hopping would have been the only option for hop flavor/aroma). This is TOTALLY strain dependent and you won't know until you try it. So like the other posters, I say go for it. Good luck!

I actually make a saison that tastes similar to tank 7. It uses cascade and saaz in the boil and a flameout addition of cascade, saaz, and a bit of mosaic.

Funny thing is I had made the beer just a bit before tank 7 came to Florida and everyone agreed that it was similar to my saison.

Im using wlp568 and have 1.5 oz of amarillo for flavoring (brewers gold for bittering). I might split the flavoring hops to add both dry hop and finishing hops! Thanks!

Back