Making a recipe from what I've got...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goggledone

Reaction score
Here's the deal. I've got the following amounts of the following ingredients. I want to make something that'll be ready to drink relatively soon and the only thing I want to buy is yeast for this particular batch. I've got a few ideas of my own, but I want to hear some other folks' opinions.

Without further ado:

20-23 lbs of Muntons Pale Ale
.75 lbs of CaraAroma
.5 lbs Light Wheat Malt
.5 Biscuit Malt
.25 CaraAmber

10 oz of Simcoe pellet hops

My initial plan would have been a SMaSH with the Munton's Pale Ale and Simcoe, but then I found myself wanting to throw the biscuit in there the more and more I thought about it.

I'm fully prepared to use almost all if not the entire lot of the Munton's.

Yeast wise I want to do something like Thames Valley from Wyeast just for the heck of it.

First, unless you're looking to do a 10 gallon batch, you won't be drinking a 5 gallon batch with 23 pounds of malt very quickly.

Second, if you're looking to use up some of the specialty malts, I would do:

10 pounds of Muntons and the rest of the specialties...IMO only. Then SH'it with Simcoe. It should be a single hop reddish beer.

It will be five gallon. Maybe something along the lines of 15-17 lbs Muntons w/ .5 lbs biscuit and the majority of the Simcoe at the end of the boil/dry hop?

I'm looking for more of a malty IIPA as opposed to an all out American Barley Wine, I guess.

12lbs Pale Malt
1/4lbs Caraamber
.5lbs Caraaroma

1oz Simcoe 60 mins
2oz Simcoe split between 15,10,5,1
1oz Simcoe Dry-hop

Ferment 1 week, rack to secondary and dry hop 1-2 weeks. Keg/bottle.

Will taste like Smuttynose IPA.

Back