Making a MLT...false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewmedic23

Reaction score
Ive seen a lot of peoples DIY MLTs using the braided hose and Ive also seen a lot of torn up hoses from stiring...any input on these hoses vs false bottoms? where to buy them ext or do the steel hoses work fine for you guys?

I started with the braided hose, and yes it got damaged. Whether the damage mattered much beyond a little more vorlauf, I have no idea. What I didn't like about the braid was that it floated. How do you predict efficiency and deadspace if the braid is in a different position every time? Braids are cheap, easy, offer good efficiency, easy to clean, and are very resistant to stuck sparges. Braids are probably best suited for batch sparging.

I haven't tried a false bottom, but they are more expensive (or labor intensive if diy). If grain gets underneath the false bottom, it can cause stuck sparges. False bottoms can be used for batch or fly sparging. False bottoms look cooler.

I'm currently using a CPVC manifold that I built.

If you don't want to build the braid, they are still cheap to buy from bargainfittings.com. This is what I used and I had no issues with collapsing:
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=96

Got ya. That website is great. I just built a MLT and found out that the locking nuts I used are zinc coated and the o-rings arent food grade so I basically have to start over. It would have been a lot easier to just buy a conversion from that site. I think I may just pick up a few kegs and turn them into a keggle and MLT. I was looking on midwestsupplies and they have some pretty affordable false bottoms.

Latest posts

Back