Making a hop filter, syphon effect not working

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulStat

Reaction score
Ok then I've got it all fitted up, I was hoping it would reduce my dead space from a rather large 4 litres down to a few hundred ml, by utilising the syphon effect.

So the syphon isn't working for some reason and I was someone could tell me why, so here's some pics

The inside of the boiler:
dscf1428c.jpg

The outside of the boiler:
dscf1427f.jpg

The underside of the hop filter:
dscf1429c.jpg

Thoughts please? :(

I would make sure you have a good seal with the compression fitting and add some teflon tape to the threads. I would then sweat all the fittings together down to the filter piece on the bottom of the kettle. That should seal the leak and you will still be able to get the filter piece apart for cleaning. If it isn't totally sealed you will lose your siphon.

I think it is a design flaw. For a siphon to work, you need a constant flow with the pickup tube being filled the entire time. The small size and number of holes you have will never allow for this to happen. You need to allow for more liquid to be picked up in the tube.

I think it picks up plenty of water, when it does flow it flows freely and with a pretty good pressure, but it soon stops after it reaches the bottom of the threads you see.

Yeah, I think you are fine with the holes in the pickup tube. The water doesn't care how it gets into the tube. If you are losing siphon, you have an air leak somewhere...and those threads are the most likely reason.

Check all solder connections, and recheck the threads.

It also looks like the out-feed side of the siphon could be a bit lower than the intake. Add some tubing to the end of your copper spigot and raise up the pot a bit.

I think it picks up plenty of water, when it does flow it flows freely and with a pretty good pressure, but it soon stops after it reaches the bottom of the threads you see.

Then that is where the air is leaking in. I'm assuming that is a compression fitting. For some reason you are not getting a good seal. Take it apart and look it over closely

Back