Making a gallon starter for pacman yeast HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am making a starter to propagate Pacman from a Rouge beer. I want to make enough to step this up about 5 times. I am making 1 gallon of hoped wort about 30IBU and I was wondering if I used 50/50 corn sugar and DME how much of each do I need to get a OG of 1.040 or close?
Water is on the stove as I type
Cheers
JJ

by my calculation with 1 gallon of starter, you would need .45LBS of each to get a starting gravity of 1.041...keep in mind thats with a gallon of liquid.

Ya I know the rule of thumb, but I didn’t have enough DME and this, for all practical purposes this is just a test, and for the longest time way back in the day they did use other things than just maltos sugars.
Thanks for the onfo though, when I do this for real I will get much more DME.
Cheers
JJ

FWIW, some useful tips for this type of thing that are pretty easy to remember and don't require any real math to use:
DME is about 45PPG (SG points per pound per gallon), and corn sugar (and probably table sugar, etc) is about the same.
So, 1 pound of DME or corn sugar (or a mix of the two) per gallon of water will get you to about 1.045.
And since there are 16 oz per pound and 16 cups per gallon, that ratio is exactly the same as ounces of dme/sugar per cup of water.

Then to target more like 1.035-1.045, you can just eyeball it and undershoot the amount of DME/sugar you use.

FWIW, some useful tips for this type of thing that are pretty easy to remember and don't require any real math to use:
DME is about 45PPG (SG points per pound per gallon), and corn sugar (and probably table sugar, etc) is about the same.
So, 1 pound of DME or corn sugar (or a mix of the two) per gallon of water will get you to about 1.045.
And since there are 16 oz per pound and 16 cups per gallon, that ratio is exactly the same as ounces of dme/sugar per cup of water.

Then to target more like 1.035-1.045, you can just eyeball it and undershoot the amount of DME/sugar you use.

Great read! Ya know I never put the 2 and 2 together; its amazing what sleep depravation will do for a guy. So its 1 oz per cup of finish volume of wort.
Cheers

JJ

so here it is 18 hours later and still no activity. Hmmmm I will give it till tomorrow afternoon and then check gravity.
You all said this yeast starts fast didnt you ?
JJ

Nope I have 6 steps of 400ml each
Exactly what do you do with a bottle when you're ready to bring it out of storage and pitch it in a fermenter? Do you decant the wort and put in the same volume of freshly boiled wort and wait for fermentation again OR???

Well if it would have started I would have just pitched a new 400 ml of fresh wort untill I got to 3 then I would have dumped the beer and steped it up once more w/ 800 ml.... But it didn't start.
JJ

Back