Making a cider, and wanted some input...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpha224

Reaction score
OK, making a hard cider for my first batch ever and here is the recipe I am working with:

4.5gal of store bought, 100% preservative free apple juice

6 12oz cans of apple juice concentrate

1 packet of Red star champagne yeast

What I want to make is something close to Woodchuck Amber, without using a keg to carbonate it. Any advice, comments?

I'd use an ale yeast like Nottingham instead of the champagne yeast. The champagne yeasts tend to strip a lot of flavour out of a cider & will (depending on the recipe) almost always take it dry. I'm not familiar with Woodchuck Amber, but I've had the regular Woodchuck cider & I was not impressed. Sorry, I don't mean to slam your drink of choice, I'm just sayin you can make better.

Something else you might consider is an addition of yeast nutrient/energizer; it'll help to guarantee a healthy fermentation.
As far as carbonation goes, just prime it like you would prime a batch of beer & bottle.
Regards, GF.

I forgot to mention that I have yeast nutrient also. I think I am going to prime and then sweeten with some stevia so I don't run into trouble with any lactose intolerance when I give a couple bottles away.

Back