Making a Brewing website

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewN

Reaction score
Would it be illegal to make a 'x'brewing.com/ca website if i wasnt an actual registered brewing company? I just want to make it for fun, taking my hobby to a website(always wanted my own website/blog). If it helps im in Canada

Parking is when you buy a domain name with the intent of reselling it for a profit and not actually using it. People do this with stars names, company names, movie names etc. in anticipation of the value of the name going up or to start a bidding war.

Parking is when you buy a domain name with the intent of reselling it for a profit and not actually using it. People do this with stars names, company names, movie names etc. in anticipation of the value of the name going up or to start a bidding war.

Thank you!

Nightshade said:

Where's your source for this law?

Where's your source for this law?

It's not law per se but the precedent has been set in multiple court cases.

Say I bought up britneyspears.com when she started on Disney and had some random page on it that went nowhere and had no real purpose. Then a few years later her media handlers decide they want that domain, they can show that it has sat there for x months with no real purpose, updates or content and in court I can be forced to reliquish the rights to the domain at nothing but purchased value.

Here is a reference to "cybersquatting"

Anti-Cybersquatting: ACPA and UDRP
In 1999, the U.S. government passed the Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA), which enables trademark holders to obtain civil damages up to $100,000 from cybersquatters. While not directly outlawing cybersquatting, it was an attempt to improve the situation.

Also in 1999, ICANN created the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (UDRP) to resolve cybersquatting disputes. If not resolved, trademark holders may still take legal action under ACPA. For more information, visit www.icann.org/en/udrp/udrp.htm. See URL hijacking, page hijacking and domaining.

Taken from here http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/Domain+camping

I was thinking of starting a small hosting reseller company specifically for home brewers. I am in the biz already, so it would be simple. Would this be a good idea? I know there are plenty of free services, blogspot, etc., but if I could offer a home-brewer focused service maybe I could at least cover my costs and help,out folks like the OP. Thoughts?

Would it be illegal to make a 'x'brewing.com/ca website if i wasnt an actual registered brewing company? I just want to make it for fun, taking my hobby to a website(always wanted my own website/blog). If it helps im in Canada
Excellent idea.

I was thinking of starting a small hosting reseller company specifically for home brewers. I am in the biz already, so it would be simple. Would this be a good idea? I know there are plenty of free services, blogspot, etc., but if I could offer a home-brewer focused service maybe I could at least cover my costs and help,out folks like the OP. Thoughts?
Hijacker.

Back